Posted to rec.food.preserving
Randal Oulton Randal Oulton is offline

Default Fruit from quince bush, worth bothering with?

On Saturday, 5 November 2016 13:38:00 UTC-4, George Shirley wrote:
> On 11/5/2016 11:13 AM, randal wrote:
> > A friend has offered us the quince fruit from her flowering quince bush. There's about 10 lbs of fruit.
> >
> > Is the quince fruit from the bush types worth bothering with taste wise?
> >
> > I am running into quite varying opinions here and there the past few weeks, so thought I would try here.
> >

> > ___________________________________
> >
> > We are zone 4b, so it could be any of the three most common varieties of quince bush.
> > http://homeguides.sfgate.com/differe...uit-65846.html
> >
> > ___________________________________
> >

> We had a quince bush in zone 9b that did poorly but did make good fruit
> one year. It was a shot in the dark but the tree was free.
>
> Quince are a good fruit for jellies, jams, etc. Here's a look at them:
> http://www.thekitchn.com/quince-toug...lligence-73041
>
> It would be worth the effort if you have a goodly amount and you might
> be surprised at how good they are when processed. Give it a shot.
>
> George

I want to report back. Specifically, about the hard white inner core material (endocarp?) in quince that most people say to get out or it goes gritty on you.

I couldn't find any information on whether an electric food mill would take care of that or not. I decided to give it a go.

I can report back that while the electric food mill took care of the skin, and seeds, that it:

(a) partly ground up some of the seed, so you had what looked like a few bits of black pepper in it. Not the end of the world, for the work saved, BUT... ;
(b) the food mill just ground up that "endocarp" into a fine power and made the whole pulpy solution gritty like sand.

In the future, I'll get that "endocarp" out.

To save it, I filtered the quince pulp through a jelly bag (twice), and made it into jelly instead of jam.