Default Ameriware- US made cookware

On Sunday, May 6, 2007 at 8:18:22 AM UTC-7, mystr0 wrote:
> I noticed Costco is now carrying (online) a line called Ameriware,
> it's discription and 25 year warranty but also the fact that it's
> forged in the US certainly got my attention especially after I read in
> the WSJ that US steel companies which have survived are considered
> some of the very best in the world for quality....has anyone here used
> or is familiar with this cookware?

In short, this cookware is crap, for so many reasons.

Trying to find a replacement for one that got damaged--all too easily--for a rented out guest home, I called the manufacturer in Wisconsin, who makes the product (and several other brands), then spoke with the rep who knows how all those products are made. The rep admitted that Ameriware is not among even among the middle of the road brands.

First, a cookware line that is all non-stick is a very bad sign. No one needs or should ever use non-stick for everything. Good quality 3+ ply stainless is easy to use, easy to clean up and fairly non-stick when used the right way. There are times, like high heat searing, that a non-stick is useful but not this low-end plastic stuff. One or two scan pans or ceramic fry pans is all you need for that purpose. You will never go back. You will save yourself the heartache of scrubbing and cleaning when you have quality cookware.

Second, the coating is toxic. The manufacturer confirmed that the chemical context is essentially old school, chemically like the brand Teflon. Poison! Never use plastic and never heat it. Discerning home chefs can taste the difference in food cooked in toxic past crap and clean inert steel.

Third, it's not durable. People that "love" their non-stick cookware are not experienced, serious cooks. The plastic cooking tools to avoid scratching the plastic costed cookware are toxic too.Look at the melted ends; you eat that crap. So toss it out.

Fourth, this brand in particular is not quality non-stick. The difference between this crap and stainless is 180 degrees. Food sticks to the pans unless kept to a simmer. And the coating wears off so easily!

Fifth, the overall quality of the pan is mediocre at best, not well constructed at all. Look at the handle. The injected steel is not even finished well. It's sloppy. The handle is not well constructed and it gets hot. The flimsy plastic sleeve melts and it's a hassle. If you must have a handle cover, make it silicone. The better pans are designed so you do not need a sleeve at all, they stay cool. The coating comes right off. Again. you eat that poison. And, the pan is not usable, even with the coating off and loads of oil.This is sold at fairs and road shows. Its made for the non-discerning cook who is clueless.

I can attest that this brand, doesn't wear well. Over the course of a fe weeks, the pan was more aggravating to use. The pan was overheated and improperly used, but not by a long shot. Still, the coating came completely off.