Alex Rast

at Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:55:31 GMT in <ja0aj059qhlehdv8u85gu655thl8tmthst@
4ax.com>, cal (Petey the Wonder Dog) wrote :

>About once a week, my friend gives me a bunch of fresh basil.
>
>I use it everyday, as I love it, but I need to know how to keep it fresh
>for a few days to a week.
>
>Anyone?

Keep it like a flower - snip the very bottom of the stem and stick it in a
cup or a vase with plenty of water in it. Then set on a cool shelf, perhaps
with some indirect sunlight (e.g. next to a kitchen window)

I have used this to keep basil fresh for over a week. The problem used to
mystify me as well and I found it hopeless as long as I stayed with the
conventional food-storage tactics.
--
Alex Rast