Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_17_] dsi1[_17_] is offline

Default Convection ovens

On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 10:19:32 PM UTC-10, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> Looking to buy a convection oven, big enough to roast a small turkey.
> It should also have both bake and roast modes (bottom heat only, or top
> and bottom). Mid-range prices are ok, like up to $300.
>
> Having only website pics to go on, most seem to have poorly designed
> controls, like many microwaves do. Anybody here have a suitable model
> that has sensible controls?
>
> --

Most convection ovens are toaster oven sized these days. The one I used to have could roast a large chicken and had primitive controls. It was a sheet metal box with heating elements and a fan. All I needed was good temperature regulation. It's the cooks job to control the cooking time, not the oven's. The one I had back in 2000 cost about $65. It was a cheap, versatile, appliance that performed beautifully and was cheaper to operate than the range oven.

My recommendation is that you look for a simple, cheap, oven and don't worry about the controls. OTOH, it might be that there are no cheap, simple, counter-top ovens being sold these days. Good luck in your search.