Posted to rec.food.sourdough
dejamos dejamos is offline

Default sourdough rye cranberry walnut bread

On 7/2/2016 4:15 PM, Shadow wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jul 2016 15:01:25 -0500, dejamos >
> wrote:
>

>> There is something I read somewhere online about sourdough and rye, and
>> that is to use the rye for the starter rather than adding it with the
>> other flour/s. If I remember correctly it had something to do with the
>> rye then being used as the leavening agent. I don't know if that has
>> any scientific basis but I used that method to make this Rye Sourdough:
>> http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/241...-sunflower-and
>> -pumpkin-seed-cold-soaker
>>
>> It made a delicious loaf with a good rise so I tend to use that method
>> whenever I make a sourdough with rye.

> From the article:
>
> "The leaven is a rye sour which I refreshed a couple of times and fed
> with some "altus" along the way too."
>
> Wiki:
> "altus" is a Latin adjective meaning "high, deep, noble or profound",
> surname of old Norman. It's also the name of an un-manned spacecraft.
>
> But that didn't help much.
>
> Found it:
>
> http://www.sourdoughhome.com/index.p...nt=ingredients
>
> "Altus is the secret of good rye bread. Altus is left-over ground-up
> rye bread, soaked in water. To make altus, cut the crusts from a loaf
> of bread, soak it in water for several hours, or overnight, under
> refrigeration. It will keep several weeks under refrigeration. Use
> small amounts in bread dough, pressing water out of it. This will
> intensify the taste of the rye bread, make it a moister bread. You
> will have to adjust the hydration of your dough when you use altus,
> probably adding a bit more flour."
> []'s

Thanks for that information. I have only used rye flour for the starter
without the altus. My comment was more about using rye flour for the
starter instead of regular or bread flour. One of these days I plan to
try the altus. I do not make rye bread very often these days.