Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default dinner 6-26-2016

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> I found a rack of ribs on sale for $2.99 lb and that's as good as it
>>> gets here. So I bought them and made oven barbecued ribs (Trader
>>> Joe's Carolina Gold BBQ sauce); then I heated some beans from a can
>>> and made a simple green salad to go with it.
>>>
>>> While we were waiting for dinner, I used the last of my homemade
>>> chicken stock, a box of vegetable broth, a couple of things I
>>> scavenged from the refrigerator and a huge package of chopped
>>> vegetables that I'd bought at the Mexican market to make vegetable
>>> soup.
>>>
>>> Carolina Gold
>>> http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/1725

>> Today the highlight was toasted home made rye bread with butter and
>> cream cheese. Afraid the rest was a lunchable with fresh small apples
>> from the yard just hitting ready.
>>
>> Lunchables are an oddity here but they had a 10/10$ sale and we had 4
>> 60cent coupons that doubled so paid 6.20$ for 10 of them and added to
>> the occasional snack food/fast food set we get. At .62ea, a fast and
>> easy thing when busy.

> Lunchable?

Little refrigerated packages that will keep for a while, designed to be
taken in a lunch. Aimed at kids. I know they have nachos which are tiny
round corn chips with cheese dip and salsa. Also pizza which is a round flat
bread with a packet of sauce, cheese shreds and perhaps pepperoni. Also some
with cheese, crackers, meats and cookies or candy. There are others but
since I don't ever buy that kind, not really sure what all comes in them. I
think the same as I mentioned plus a drink, and larger sized packages of
things. At one point they had one with a small bun so you could make a
sandwich and chicken nuggets to serve cold. There is also a Walking Taco
which might be another brand, not sure and protein packs which also may be
another brand, not sure. Those are meat, cheese and nuts.

Angela will eat the nacho ones once in a while and her friends will
sometimes eat the others. I never buy the ones with drinks. For a time there
was a small, off brand cola. Not sure if that is still in there. Some have
juice, juice drinks, flavored water and I think perhaps plain water but all
small containers.

I only ever buy them when I find a good sale. I started buying them when she
was a toddler but only when my parents came to visit and we were having a
picnic in the park. She was too little to eat a sandwich like we did. She
mainly ate raw fruits and vegetables which I packed but this gave her a
little protein. She never ate more than a few bites but my dad or husband
would finish off what she didn't eat.

For me, they were something to buy while out and not something I used to
keep at home. Then at some point I would keep a few just in case I was out
and wouldn't be home at meal time. Nobody in the house really likes them all
that well so I will only buy a few once in a while on sale. I have none at
the present and may never buy them again. No real need as everyone is
capable of making a real meal now.