zxcvbob

Default German Chocolate Pie

MurphAssoc wrote:
> My daughter requested this for a family get-together. So, what do I know?? I
> bought a bar of German chocolate and followed the recipe on the card inside the
> wrapper - melt choc w/milk, add Cool Whip and I don't know what all. Turns out
> her idea of this pie is "like pecan pie only with German chocolate".
> Anyone have that recipe ??
> TIA,
> Judith

I found another one. This looks closer to the ones I've eaten than the
previous recipe I posted. I'm pretty sure you could leave out the rum, or
substitute bourbon or Tennessee whiskey:

CHOCOLATE PECAN PIE

3/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups dark corn syrup
2 oz. (2 squares) unsweetened chocolate
1/4 cup (4 tablespoons butter)
4 extra-large eggs, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon Myer's (dark) rum
2 cups (8 oz.) pecan halves
1 (9-inch) unbaked pastry crust
Whipped cream

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium saucepan, place the
sugar and syrup; stir to combine. Slowly bring the syrup mixture to a boil
over medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Add the
chocolate and butter; stir until melted and blended. Add about 1/2 cup of
the hot chocolate mixture to the eggs and quickly stir in. Then, add the
egg mixture to the remaining chocolate mixture; using a handheld electric
mixer, beat on low speed only until blended. Add the rum; using a spoon,
stir to blend. Add the pecans; stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the
pie shell. Place the pie in the oven and immediately reduce the oven
temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake the pie for 45 to 50 minutes,
or until a table knife inserted into the filling halfway between the edge
and the center of the pie comes out clean. The filling will continue
cooking after removal of the pie from the oven, and the center of the pie
will fully set. Remove the pie from the oven and place it on a wire rack to
cool. Serve the pie at room temperature, with a dollop of the whipped cream
spooned on top of each slice. After serving, leftover pie should be
refrigerated. Makes one 9-inch pie: 7 servings.
Copyright© 2000 NewsUSA - www.newsusa.com