Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Roast pork?

On Thu, 07 Apr 2016 19:44:08 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Apr 2016 16:01:42 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>

>> > I was in town for my yearly eye exam today so I decided to stop into
>> > the market for a few items and with all this talk about pork roasts I
>> > picked up a very nice on-bone center cut pork roast, 4 1/2 pounds/
>> > $3.79 lb... all seasoned (Penseys adobo, s n'p) and waiting in the
>> > fridge... will go in the oven in about an hour

>> I havent tried Pensey's adobo. If you have tried Goya adobo, can you
>> tell me how they compare?

>Never tried Penzy's either, but Goya tastes too "commercial" for lack
>of a better word. I guess the best description would be "it tastes
>like the package".

Goya adobo and Penzeys adobo are very different products, more
different than the difference between night and day... Goya adobo is
mostly salt, Penzeys adobo contains no added salt, so use as much as
you like. Goya makes several kinds/flavors, all are mostly (I'd
estimate 98%) salt. I use Goya adobo too, but in place of salt... I
bought a twin pack of 28 ounce containers at BJs more than 10 years
ago, I just recently started the 2nd container.
http://www.goya.com/english/product_...ments/Adobo#31
Scroll down to check Goya adobo ingredients:
http://www.amazon.com/Goya-Purpose-S..._a_it &sr=8-1
Penzeys is salt-free and very different ingredients:
https://www.penzeys.com/online-catal.../c-24/p-1/pd-s
>Just curious. If you use it often, why don't you make your own?

I do use Penzeys adobo very often but it really doesn't pay to make it
myself as the individual ingrediets will cost as much if not more...
and I don't know their proportions and it's not worth experimenting,
plus it's a potent spice blend so each dish uses relatively little...
a light dusting seasons a five pound pork roast, perhaps a 1/2 tsp...
I suggest using it sparingly at first and increase the amount as you
learn what it does... I've been using it for many years (the first
spice I bought when Penzeys first opened nearly 20 years ago, it's the
first spice in their catalogue) and I still use it lightly. Penzeys
adobo is excellent on pork, great on chicken, fantastic in chili made
with beef but I wouldn't use it on roast beef... very good on beans,
makes refried beans sing! The first Penzeys catalogue was four typed
pages (with an ancient manual typewriter) on pastel pink & blue paper
stapled in the upper left corner... was very crude with several typos.
I spotted an artical about Penzeys in the NYT Food Section. I phoned
them and they sent me their first catalogue. That's when I ordered
their adobo and a few other items, that's when I made the first post
about Penzeys to r.f.c.