Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Dusty[_3_] Dusty[_3_] is offline

Default Sourdough with an automatic bread maker?

On 13-Feb-16 15:27, Donald wrote:
> Since there has been some posts here from real sourdough enthusiasts,
> I thought I'd try posting this question.
>
> Has anyone here found a way to use an automatic breadmaker to make
> sourdough bread?
>
> I see them at thrift stores for less than $10 on almost every visit,
> and some are complete with instructions and even unused!
>
> The problem I see is the rise time of sourdough being way longer than
> what can be set in a bread maker. I;m not sure how to get around that
> limitation so I've always made my sourdough bread using my stand mixer
> for the basic mixing and hand kneading for working the dough between
> rises, then the oven for the final part of it.
>
> If there isn't enough activity here I can try the Fresh Loaf site and
> the Facebook group someone mentioned here (I joined it).
>
> Donald

Dang! No traffic for so long...so I don't visit for a few weeks, and
the wheels fall off !
I know of folks that have used a bread-maker to make sourdough. But, as
others have pointed out, the tomfoolery you have to do to make it do so
is probably not worth the effort. Still, as another poster pointed out,
an aging parent (which I've learned is creeping up on me) would probably
be a good candidate for such a gadget.
Since I used to be involved in embedded systems, I had, over the years,
considered making something specifically for sourdough--both for the
culturing, as well as the mixing and making. But the thoughts and dreams
always faded as I experienced the simple joy of making my dough "by
hand". The years have left me with a simple system of steps that I use,
and I couldn't find a good reason to change that just to do so.
I too have stooped to using the FB groups. I'm probably too old to ever
learn to like using that sewer...but I do so because today I must, and
have no clue what tomorrow will bring.
Oh well. I was delighted to see some traffic in here...it would be
great if more would make an appearance.

Have fun folks--always enjoy your baking,
Dusty
--
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out whom you are not allowed
to criticize." -- Voltaire