Roy Basan

Default donuts or doughnuts

"Paul" > wrote in message .com>...
> The secret? A device that provides a warm, high-humidity chamber called a
> proofing box. And don't forget lots of dough conditioners and ascorbic acid,
> too.

I partly disagree with that....
Indeed most donuts are put in the proofing box but the humidity
conditions are not the same as you did with normal bread.
If the cut doughnuts are placed in the normal proofer( with lots of
steam) it is taken when it has rised 2/3-3/4 of the desired proofing
time to let the crust dry or it will result in blister and other
defects later.
In addition a lot of the good donut mixes have conditioners but only a
few specialized recipes carry ascorbic acid. AS that make the yeast
raised doughnut chewy eating.
I have formulated institutional doughnut mixes that contain no
ascorbic acid, but aside from the basic ingredients we add, soya
flour, potato flour and some emulsifiers.

Roy