Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default "Stop Telling Me to Make My Own Lunch" - Slate

On 12/9/2015 8:44 AM, Gary wrote:

> Now the text. Sorry...this old browser shows layout info too. It's
> normally hidden but you can read past that and get the entire article.

Thanks for posting it.

> Stop Telling Me to Make My Own Lunch

> First, the math. It is probably true that the average takeout
> lunch is more expensive than the average homemade lunch,
> but the numbers vary a ton depending on what you are eating.
> Sure, if you compare a homemade turkey sandwich (the
> HuffPo writer’s lunch of choice) to a Chipotle burrito bowl,
> you’ll come out ahead when you brown-bag it. But
> if you try to replicate that Chipotle meal at home, guacamole and all,
> your savings are a lot slimmer. (The Billfold’s
> Mike Dang calculated that a homemade Chipotle bowl cost $4.03 when
> assembled from cheap ingredients from Trader
> Joe’s,

From my observation, 99.9% of home made lunches are a sandwich or
leftovers. Raise you hand if you ever duplicated a Chipotle burrito
bowl just for lunch. Red herring argument.

> Secondly, homemade lunches are not necessarily healthier than takeout
> lunches. That turkey sandwich leaves a lot to be
> desired, nutritionally, and even if it is lower in calories, that
> doesn’t make it healthier than a burrito bowl.

Either bought or brought, healthiness is a choice and can go either way.

> The brown-bag crowd ignores not only the evidence that homemade
> lunches are not necessarily cheaper and healthier than the
> alternative, but also the fact that preferences vary from person to
> person. Not everyone values saving money more than they
> value the pleasure and convenience of a takeout meal.

I can agree on that. We have choices and are free to make them.