Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Mushrooms.

"T" > wrote in message ...
> On 10/06/2015 12:27 PM, Ian Field wrote:
>> Are these OK for diabetics?
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agaricus_campestris
>>
>> Thanks.

> Sure. Unless there is something weird about the one
> you referenced.

The campestris is what you're most likely to find on supermarket shelves.

I've been reading up on wild varieties - the toxic ones are relatively few,
but the consequences of a mistake can range from severe gastric trouble, to
cascade organ failure over 2 or 3 weeks.

The guide books list some very delicious wild mushrooms - I presume there's
some economic reason they're not cultivated for the supermarket.

OTOH: some books mention that certain mushrooms listed as toxic are OK if
prepared correctly - I won't be doing that experiment any time soon.

There's a huge range of mushrooms that are listed as edible, but many have
the footnote that while they won't make you ill - they're not worth the
effort.

Unless I discover a foolproof method of distinguishing edible from toxic; my
study is likely to remain theoretical.