Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I enjoy low-fat food because it's healthier

On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 8:39:31 PM UTC-4, Xeno wrote:
> On 2/10/2015 8:51 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Thursday, October 1, 2015 at 6:47:28 PM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
> >> The idea that "low-fat" means you get an equivalent amount of badness
> >> from other ingredients is just silly.

> > Processed foods that are "low fat" often have additional amounts of
> > sugar added to make them more palatable for the mass market.

> That's because fat is flavour. Remove fat and you have remaining
> something that more tastes like cardboard. Other ingredients such as
> salt, sugar, etc. are added in an attempt to restore the flavour. What
> you really need to look for is a balanced diet of 'real food'.
> >
> >> I've been drinking nonfat milk for decades. There is nothing to make up
> >> for the lack of fat. I use it for anything I would normally use milk
> >> for, like... Cereal, chocolate milk, straight milk, whatever. I no
> >> longer desire fatty milk.
> >>
> >> And as a result of reducing my fat intake and eating plenty of fiber, my
> >> cholesterol levels are excellent.

> > I eat a fair amount of fat, and my cholesterol levels are excellent.
> > Good genetics has a lot to do with it.

> You can quickly destroy the benefits of good genetic by consuming a poor
> diet and/or lifestyle. We are not genetically programmed for our current
> 'western' diet and lifestyle and the effects, such as obesity, are now
> beginning to show this quite clearly.

Well, when I say "a fair amount", it might be considered "not much" by
others, since I try to control my calorie intake.

A teaspoon (or so) of butter on my oatmeal in the morning
A pint of 2% milk
An ounce or two of cheese at lunch
A tablespoon or two of olive oil at dinner
Whatever fat comes along with chicken breast, farmed salmon or flank steak
Some cocoa butter in an ounce of semi-sweet chocolate

Of course, I eat fruits, vegetables and grains (whole and refined), too.

That's kind of a typical day. If I want to have a BLT with
mayonnaise, I have it. A couple times a year, fried fish
and French fries.

It seems like everybody around me is on Lipitor or something.

Cindy Hamilton