Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default 2012 Joseph Drouhin Chorey-les-Beaune and "new producers"burgundy tasting

On Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at 4:02:31 AM UTC-4, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at 12:35:36 AM UTC+2, santiago wrote:
> >
> > I don't know if it is France vs California. But I think that wine regions
> > in the borders of the wine production limits are normally those with more
> > differences between vintages. Alsace, Champagne, Burgundy or Loire have
> > more variation between vintages than Languedoc-Roussillon, Bandol or Saint-
> > Chinian. Maybe Oregon or Finger Lakes have more variation than California.
> >
> > Specially Burgundy, with Pinot Noir which is a grape with very thin skins
> > and a lot of finesse, is very prone to changes between vintages.
> >
> > I would not exchange the Drouhin. It might be a nice wine in a ligher (and
> > more tart) style. I always prefer to try new things than coming back to a
> > wine you already know.
> >

> But I know both of them now
>
> And Im glad I did, so I learned something about the vintage differences. But I exchanged it, because it is rare they have Cristina and it is the best pinot noir I know of, and I think the Drouhin is way too expensive for tasting almost identical to a 8E argentina pinot noir (Salentein Barrel Selection 2012) - I drank them side by side when I realized it reminded me of that one. I popped one open to check if my memory was correct. Actually, the Salentein was a bit more complex with a bit more tertiary notes.
>
> Its interesting that the two Ladoix from 2012 were fine. However, When I had the 2010 I did seem to get something more out of it as I mentioned in my notes " the 2009 and 2010 are delicious."

I would urge you to perhaps go in with a couple of friends and splurge on a bottle of 1er or GC wines from one of the premier houses in Burgundy. It can be life changing from a wine perspective and it may spoil you but it will give you a measuring stick against which to measure your Burgundian pursuits by. Finding good servicable consistant Pinot Noirs under $20 USD in the States is hard. Every now and again I stumble upon one but often the less expensive wines are over oaked, filled with additives or just plain bad. Happy hunting.