Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2012 Joseph Drouhin Chorey-les-Beaune and "new producers" burgundy tasting

2012 Joseph Drouhin Chorey-les-Beaune ***+

Too days after I taste the 2009 I try the 2012. It is much simpler. Very light and smooth fruit juicy and too few tertiary notes. I dont know if that is a vintage difference or the 3 years age difference. It is not too strong, too acid, nor too tannic, so I dont see evidence it needs to age more. My wife likes it because it is quite quaffable easy drinking like Marchesi di Barolo Barbaresco, she started liking recently.

And at a tasting at the store wine club. I lost my notes, so typing by memory. I remember the grades were all 3 stars so that's easy:

2013 Santenay Blanc, Domaine David Moreau ***

Some tropical tart fruit, faint underlying creaminess, esp. on the finish. if that creaminess had been a bit more, it would have been 4stars.

2013 Bourgogne Blanc, Domaine Bachelet Monnot ***

While the above was more "bass and treble, no midtone", this is more balanced with midtone. crisper.

2013 Bourgogne Rouge, Bernard Moreau et Fils ***
2013 Côte de Beaune Village, Domaine David Moreau ***
2013 Bourgogne Rouge, Domaine Bachelet Monnot ***

I dont remember anything different about these wines. They were all good pinots, but forgettable. Bright, fresh, red fruits. Liked them less than Drouhin Chorey and Cornu Fils Bourgogne (which are similar price tags), but there's nothing wrong with them.

Posted to alt.food.wine

So I had a lot of Burgundies this weekend, and can conclude that next time I feel for burgundy I should get Cornu Ladoix or Ladoix Les Carriers again (if I dont do what I usually do: buy something I dont know because it is more exciting! e.g. Drouhin Gevrey Champertin).
I have one more 2012 Chorey that I will have to wait a couple of years to drink and hope it will be more like the 2009.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Michael Nielsen > wrote in
:

> So I had a lot of Burgundies this weekend, and can conclude that next
> time I feel for burgundy I should get Cornu Ladoix or Ladoix Les
> Carriers again (if I dont do what I usually do: buy something I dont
> know because it is more exciting! e.g. Drouhin Gevrey Champertin). I
> have one more 2012 Chorey that I will have to wait a couple of years
> to drink and hope it will be more like the 2009.

It will not.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 4:45:01 PM UTC+2, santiago wrote:

> It will not.

Lol, can you elaborate on that?

Posted to alt.food.wine

Michael Nielsen > wrote in news:e696471c-aeeb-
:

> On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 4:45:01 PM UTC+2, santiago wrote:
>
>> It will not.
>>

> Lol, can you elaborate on that?

2009 and 2012 were too different in weather.

Jancis Robinson:

http://www.jancisrobinson.com/articl...-wine-overview

http://www.jancisrobinson.com/articl...2012-the-wines

2009:
The health of the grapes in 2009 was exceptional, without a trace of the
rot that perennially plagues the vineyards of Burgundy.

(...)
The weather was hugely obliging from about mid July onwards, in fact Le
Bault de la Morinière maintains they will probably never see such a
perfect summer again, with hardly a cloud in the sky from the beginning
of August to the end of harvest. And yet temperatures were not excessive
and, thanks to a few storms in late July that were very worrying at the
time, the vines had enough water. As Denis Bachelet put it, 'the amount
of water in the soil facilitated perfect photosynthesis, which gave us
very rich musts - richer than ever'.

2012:
most growers struggled to achieve full ripeness before the September
rains arrived, so that natural alcohol levels are in the 12 to 12.5%
range, often supplemented by a bit of sugar added to the fermentation
vat to prolong fermentation.

(...)

The better reds on the other hand at this early stage in their lives,
while being generally lighter than either 2010 or 2005, are almost
eerily charming, and expressive of their various origins. Presumably the
generally cool summer helped to preserve freshness and aromas. I do
wonder about their longevity, but when they offer such pleasure so
early, perhaps this is a needless concern.

Clive Coates:

http://www.clive-coates.com/news/2009-vintage

http://www.clive-coates.com/news/2012-vintage

2009: It was a splendid summer. From the middle of May onwards the sun
shone; it was warm though rarely very hot; it was dry without being
parched; and these favourable conditions continued through until the end
of the harvest and beyond.

2012: The first half of 2012 could hardly have been worse. While March
was mild, April, May and June were almost uninterruptedly cold, wet and
miserable. The development of the vine was retarded, the threat of
mildew and oïdium was rife (and hardly had you applied a treatment than
the rain would wash it away and it would be necessary to repeat the
process), the flowering was late and drawn out, and there was extensive
hail damage, particularly on June 30th and August 1st.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 8:36:38 AM UTC+2, santiago wrote:
> 2009: It was a splendid summer. From the middle of May onwards the sun

Im beginning to see what people write that vintage charts make more sense for france than california(*). While there's small differences between years I havent experienced such drastic differences.
Ill try to exchange the other bottle and pay extra for a Marimar Cristina 2010, while they are in stock.

(*) http://blog.wblakegray.com/2010/11/v...ornia-are.html
Posted to alt.food.wine

Michael Nielsen > wrote in
:

> Im beginning to see what people write that vintage charts make more
> sense for france than california(*). While there's small differences
> between years I havent experienced such drastic differences. Ill try
> to exchange the other bottle and pay extra for a Marimar Cristina
> 2010, while they are in stock.

I don't know if it is France vs California. But I think that wine regions
in the borders of the wine production limits are normally those with more
differences between vintages. Alsace, Champagne, Burgundy or Loire have
more variation between vintages than Languedoc-Roussillon, Bandol or Saint-
Chinian. Maybe Oregon or Finger Lakes have more variation than California.

Specially Burgundy, with Pinot Noir which is a grape with very thin skins
and a lot of finesse, is very prone to changes between vintages.

I would not exchange the Drouhin. It might be a nice wine in a ligher (and
more tart) style. I always prefer to try new things than coming back to a
wine you already know.

Regards,
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at 12:35:36 AM UTC+2, santiago wrote:

> I don't know if it is France vs California. But I think that wine regions
> in the borders of the wine production limits are normally those with more
> differences between vintages. Alsace, Champagne, Burgundy or Loire have
> more variation between vintages than Languedoc-Roussillon, Bandol or Saint-
> Chinian. Maybe Oregon or Finger Lakes have more variation than California..
>
> Specially Burgundy, with Pinot Noir which is a grape with very thin skins
> and a lot of finesse, is very prone to changes between vintages.
>
> I would not exchange the Drouhin. It might be a nice wine in a ligher (and
> more tart) style. I always prefer to try new things than coming back to a
> wine you already know.

But I know both of them now

And Im glad I did, so I learned something about the vintage differences. But I exchanged it, because it is rare they have Cristina and it is the best pinot noir I know of, and I think the Drouhin is way too expensive for tasting almost identical to a 8E argentina pinot noir (Salentein Barrel Selection 2012) - I drank them side by side when I realized it reminded me of that one. I popped one open to check if my memory was correct. Actually, the Salentein was a bit more complex with a bit more tertiary notes.

Its interesting that the two Ladoix from 2012 were fine. However, When I had the 2010 I did seem to get something more out of it as I mentioned in my notes " the 2009 and 2010 are delicious."

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at 4:02:31 AM UTC-4, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at 12:35:36 AM UTC+2, santiago wrote:
> >
> > I don't know if it is France vs California. But I think that wine regions
> > in the borders of the wine production limits are normally those with more
> > differences between vintages. Alsace, Champagne, Burgundy or Loire have
> > more variation between vintages than Languedoc-Roussillon, Bandol or Saint-
> > Chinian. Maybe Oregon or Finger Lakes have more variation than California.
> >
> > Specially Burgundy, with Pinot Noir which is a grape with very thin skins
> > and a lot of finesse, is very prone to changes between vintages.
> >
> > I would not exchange the Drouhin. It might be a nice wine in a ligher (and
> > more tart) style. I always prefer to try new things than coming back to a
> > wine you already know.
> >

> But I know both of them now
>
> And Im glad I did, so I learned something about the vintage differences. But I exchanged it, because it is rare they have Cristina and it is the best pinot noir I know of, and I think the Drouhin is way too expensive for tasting almost identical to a 8E argentina pinot noir (Salentein Barrel Selection 2012) - I drank them side by side when I realized it reminded me of that one. I popped one open to check if my memory was correct. Actually, the Salentein was a bit more complex with a bit more tertiary notes.
>
> Its interesting that the two Ladoix from 2012 were fine. However, When I had the 2010 I did seem to get something more out of it as I mentioned in my notes " the 2009 and 2010 are delicious."

I would urge you to perhaps go in with a couple of friends and splurge on a bottle of 1er or GC wines from one of the premier houses in Burgundy. It can be life changing from a wine perspective and it may spoil you but it will give you a measuring stick against which to measure your Burgundian pursuits by. Finding good servicable consistant Pinot Noirs under $20 USD in the States is hard. Every now and again I stumble upon one but often the less expensive wines are over oaked, filled with additives or just plain bad. Happy hunting.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at 4:14:56 PM UTC+2, Bi!! wrote:
> I would urge you to perhaps go in with a couple of friends and splurge on a bottle of 1er or GC wines from one of the premier houses in Burgundy. It can be life changing from a wine perspective and it may spoil you but it will give you a measuring stick against which to measure your Burgundian pursuits by. Finding good servicable consistant Pinot Noirs under $20 USD in the States is hard. Every now and again I stumble upon one but often the less expensive wines are over oaked, filled with additives or just plain bad. Happy hunting.

Can any of these be recommended?

https://shop.cph.dk/sog/?q=r%C3%B8dv...:r%C3%B 8dvin

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 6:47:30 AM UTC-4, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at 4:14:56 PM UTC+2, Bi!! wrote:
> > I would urge you to perhaps go in with a couple of friends and splurge on a bottle of 1er or GC wines from one of the premier houses in Burgundy. It can be life changing from a wine perspective and it may spoil you but it will give you a measuring stick against which to measure your Burgundian pursuits by. Finding good servicable consistant Pinot Noirs under $20 USD in the States is hard. Every now and again I stumble upon one but often the less expensive wines are over oaked, filled with additives or just plain bad. Happy hunting.

> Can any of these be recommended?
>
> https://shop.cph.dk/sog/?q=r%C3%B8dv...:r%C3%B 8dvin

No. Try a Premier or Grand Cru from Dujac with at least 5-6 years of age. Denis Mortet, J-F Mugnier, Vogue, Robert Arnoux, Anne Gros, Roumier,