Posted to alt.food.wine
santiago santiago is offline

Default When wines go from being wine boutique wines to supermarket wines

Michael Nielsen > wrote in
:

> On Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 10:47:19 AM UTC+2, santiago wrote:
>
>> Who is surviving this effect? Wineries that own or control the
>> vineyards: L�pez de Heredia, Vi�a Real.

> Is Vina real and CVNE the same producer? I always see those names
> together.
>
> http://www.vinexus.dk/catalogsearch/...&winery=1309&x
> =0&y=0
>
> If I were to try one of these, which one has most earth and leather?
> Perhaps the CVNE Tinto Gran Reserva Imperial 2007?

Same group. CVNE stands for Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España. They
make several wines like Cune Crianza / Reserva / maybe Gran Reserva too.
And then they have the Imperial line (only Reserva and Gran Reserva) which
is a step up in quality and then there is Viña Real which is a different
winery from the same group, where my guess is that they own the vineyards
around the winery and was built more in a Bordeaux style. They also own
Viñedos del Contino which is a very good winery, a bit more modern.

I do not know what do you mean with "earthy" and "leathery", but my guess
is that you may enjoy the wines from La Rioja Alta better because they tend
to be leathery and meaty. Look for Viña Arana Reserva, Viña Ardanza Reserva
and, specially, 904 Gran Reserva. Retail in Spain: 15 euro / 20 euro / 30
euro respectively.

Regarding Imperial Gran Reserva 2007, please note that 2007 was a difficult
vintage for Rioja, as was 2008. Of course, good wineries make good wine
also in difficult years. I would bet on 2001, 2004 or 2005 better.

In that shop from the link, they are offering Viña Real Reserva 2010 which
I have recommended several time. That would be my pick.