Thread: Viognier
View Single Post
  #20 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster

Default Viognier

On Sunday, April 26, 2015 at 10:16:02 PM UTC+2, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> Confused. I had a lot of Chablis, since it is chardonnay and I tend to like that ( from a california/aussie standpoint). and I find them lacking and not earning their name "chardonnay" and much less their price, while a 50$ Napa Chard very much earns its price.

You are tasting the wrong ones. No Cal chard comes close to a good Chablis. BTW, they will tend to have a pronounced acidity (among other things), so given your tastes, for Burgundy I would stick to more southern ones from the Côte de Beaune or around Macon.

> For the party on friday I am considering that Verite viognier , or Pine Ridge Dijon Clone Chardonnay or Beringer Luminus Oak Knoll chard. I am thinking it could be a good day to test the viognier, because if I dont like it, others might. I also havent tried the two chards, but it is more likely I will like them, but then ofc. they cost twice as much. The same as the Ramey, which gets a better review on CT.

Just be aware that any oak will almost certainly ruin a viognier. Except for sweet ones from air dried grapes, maybe.