Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Oregonian Haruspex Oregonian Haruspex is offline

Default Pu-erh counterfeiting caught on vid

On 2015-04-08 08:58:21 +0000, Dario Niedermann said:

> Check this video out: https://instagram.com/p/1LQgpuHjLd/

> Kunming market to make the wrapper look "old."
>
> Not my own video, found it on Reddit.

It seems like this is likely to be pretty pervasive. I also suspect
that puerh teas are upgraded by the substitution of a new wrapper as
well.

Popular puerh manufacturers have been taking steps against this such as
placing the tea in a sealed plastic bag with tiny air holes, and also
boxing the teas and affixing holographic sticker seals. These may be
effective to some degree but as time goes on, I think it's probable
that the situation will get much worse.

Stock up now - pherh improves with age, will never get any cheaper, and
is likely to be a better long-term investment than stocks and bonds.