Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fast Food Restaurant Trends to Impact Industry in 2015 - QSRmagazine

On 1/23/2015 3:37 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 11:58:32 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> Define a good salad bar... it would probably be the two three items
>>> you can eat.

>> One with a lot of cut up raw veggies and some canned beans.

> Cut up raw veggies and canned beans makes a pretty poor salad, in my
> opinion.
>
> In a *good* salad bar, you need protein - cheese, hard-boiled eggs,
> and cold meats. You also should have a big assortment of greens -
> various lettuces, spinach, watercress, sprouts, cabbage, etc.
>
> A salad bar should also have things like pasta salad, potato salad,
> and a cold quinoa or rice salad, as well as olives and antipasti. some
> walnuts, cashews, and pine nuts would be nice, as well.
>
> And, of course, a variety of dressings.
>
> Doris

We have one of those Jason's Deli chains here. They have an excellent
(to me) salad bar with three different kinds of leafy greens and no
iceberg. They have things like whole, peeled hard boiled eggs, little
cooked beets, a really great salad made with Israeli (large pearl)
couscous, hummus, shredded yellow cheese, tiny cornmeal and bran gem
muffins, lots of other fresh veggies like broccoli, cukes, little grape
tomatoes. There is also a bean salad, a pasta salad and two kinds of
potato salad. Stuff I've forgotten as well. I just get the salad bar
when I'm there. Everything if fresh and tasty.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas