Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kalmia Kalmia is offline

Default Products Getting Smaller & Prices Getting Higher

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 3:49:24 PM UTC-5, Judy wrote:
> I went to pick up a package of cake mix off the shelf at the grocery store (hadn't bought one for a long time) and thought the box seemed smaller. It was! Cake mixes use to be 18.25 oz. and now they are only 15.25 oz. I looked on the same aisle and pudding mixes are smaller too.
>
> I have several cake recipes that use a mix, and then have other ingredients added, but did make up a "cake mix extender" that someone posted in another cooking group, and 6 tbsp. of that added to the recipe, produces good results, but otherwise I don't think the old favorite recipes using the smaller size mixes would be very good. I guess the solution would be to make one's own cake from 'scratch' for perfect results.
>
> Many canned items, such as pumpkin, evaporated milk, tuna and canned fruits, veggies, etc. all have less in the can, and yet the prices have continued to go up.
>
> What does everyone think about paying more now for less?
>
> Judy

This has been going on for years. Just an inevitability and my only beef is, it messes up some old recipes which, say, called for certain size can of something.

Your only defense is to shop with price per unit in mind, or go without if it's still out of your budget.