Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Products Getting Smaller & Prices Getting Higher

I went to pick up a package of cake mix off the shelf at the grocery store (hadn't bought one for a long time) and thought the box seemed smaller. It was! Cake mixes use to be 18.25 oz. and now they are only 15.25 oz. I looked on the same aisle and pudding mixes are smaller too.

I have several cake recipes that use a mix, and then have other ingredients added, but did make up a "cake mix extender" that someone posted in another cooking group, and 6 tbsp. of that added to the recipe, produces good results, but otherwise I don't think the old favorite recipes using the smaller size mixes would be very good. I guess the solution would be to make one's own cake from 'scratch' for perfect results.

Many canned items, such as pumpkin, evaporated milk, tuna and canned fruits, veggies, etc. all have less in the can, and yet the prices have continued to go up.

What does everyone think about paying more now for less?

Judy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 3:49:24 PM UTC-5, Judy wrote:
> I went to pick up a package of cake mix off the shelf at the grocery store (hadn't bought one for a long time) and thought the box seemed smaller. It was! Cake mixes use to be 18.25 oz. and now they are only 15.25 oz. I looked on the same aisle and pudding mixes are smaller too.
>
> I have several cake recipes that use a mix, and then have other ingredients added, but did make up a "cake mix extender" that someone posted in another cooking group, and 6 tbsp. of that added to the recipe, produces good results, but otherwise I don't think the old favorite recipes using the smaller size mixes would be very good. I guess the solution would be to make one's own cake from 'scratch' for perfect results.
>
> Many canned items, such as pumpkin, evaporated milk, tuna and canned fruits, veggies, etc. all have less in the can, and yet the prices have continued to go up.
>
> What does everyone think about paying more now for less?
>
> Judy

This has been going on for years. Just an inevitability and my only beef is, it messes up some old recipes which, say, called for certain size can of something.

Your only defense is to shop with price per unit in mind, or go without if it's still out of your budget.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 2:49:24 PM UTC-6, Judy wrote:
> I went to pick up a package of cake mix off the shelf at the grocery store (hadn't bought one for a long time) and thought the box seemed smaller. It was! Cake mixes use to be 18.25 oz. and now they are only 15.25 oz. I looked on the same aisle and pudding mixes are smaller too.
>
> I have several cake recipes that use a mix, and then have other ingredients added, but did make up a "cake mix extender" that someone posted in another cooking group, and 6 tbsp. of that added to the recipe, produces good results, but otherwise I don't think the old favorite recipes using the smaller size mixes would be very good. I guess the solution would be to make one's own cake from 'scratch' for perfect results.
>
> Many canned items, such as pumpkin, evaporated milk, tuna and canned fruits, veggies, etc. all have less in the can, and yet the prices have continued to go up.
>
> What does everyone think about paying more now for less?

Packaged turkey used to be available for $2.99 not long ago. Now I'm happy to find it on sale for $3.99. Boxes of cereal have gotten smaller, narrower and more expensive, and don't get me started on hamburger or chuck roast.

Janet Yellen calls it "noise." Everyone else calls it inflation. It's gradually making me more and more interested in self sufficiency, growing things, etc. as time goes on.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 01/11/15 3:49 PM, Judy wrote:
> I went to pick up a package of cake mix off the shelf at the grocery store (hadn't bought one for a long time) and thought the box seemed smaller. It was! Cake mixes use to be 18.25 oz. and now they are only 15.25 oz. I looked on the same aisle and pudding mixes are smaller too.
>
> I have several cake recipes that use a mix, and then have other ingredients added, but did make up a "cake mix extender" that someone posted in another cooking group, and 6 tbsp. of that added to the recipe, produces good results, but otherwise I don't think the old favorite recipes using the smaller size mixes would be very good. I guess the solution would be to make one's own cake from 'scratch' for perfect results.
>
> Many canned items, such as pumpkin, evaporated milk, tuna and canned fruits, veggies, etc. all have less in the can, and yet the prices have continued to go up.
>
> What does everyone think about paying more now for less?
>
> Judy

I think selling a 4 lbs. bag of sugar that used to be 5 lbs. is more
insidious than just raising the price a little at a time. My first
observation was with the 1/2 gal. container of ice cream. Grrr!

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 3:49:24 PM UTC-5, Judy wrote:
> I went to pick up a package of cake mix off the shelf at the grocery store (hadn't bought one for a long time) and thought the box seemed smaller. It was! Cake mixes use to be 18.25 oz. and now they are only 15.25 oz. I looked on the same aisle and pudding mixes are smaller too.
>
> I have several cake recipes that use a mix, and then have other ingredients added, but did make up a "cake mix extender" that someone posted in another cooking group, and 6 tbsp. of that added to the recipe, produces good results, but otherwise I don't think the old favorite recipes using the smaller size mixes would be very good. I guess the solution would be to make one's own cake from 'scratch' for perfect results.
>
> Many canned items, such as pumpkin, evaporated milk, tuna and canned fruits, veggies, etc. all have less in the can, and yet the prices have continued to go up.
>
> What does everyone think about paying more now for less?
>
> Judy

I get all my cereal at Riteaid pharmacy, they have some kind on sale every week for 2.50 and every other week they have some kind I like on sale.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 12, 2015 at 12:43:26 PM UTC-6, Wilson wrote:
> On 01/11/15 3:49 PM, Judy wrote:
> > I went to pick up a package of cake mix off the shelf at the grocery store (hadn't bought one for a long time) and thought the box seemed smaller. It was! Cake mixes use to be 18.25 oz. and now they are only 15.25 oz. I looked on the same aisle and pudding mixes are smaller too.
> >
> > I have several cake recipes that use a mix, and then have other ingredients added, but did make up a "cake mix extender" that someone posted in another cooking group, and 6 tbsp. of that added to the recipe, produces good results, but otherwise I don't think the old favorite recipes using the smaller size mixes would be very good. I guess the solution would be to make one's own cake from 'scratch' for perfect results.
> >
> > Many canned items, such as pumpkin, evaporated milk, tuna and canned fruits, veggies, etc. all have less in the can, and yet the prices have continued to go up.
> >
> > What does everyone think about paying more now for less?
> >
> > Judy
> >

> I think selling a 4 lbs. bag of sugar that used to be 5 lbs. is more
> insidious than just raising the price a little at a time. My first
> observation was with the 1/2 gal. container of ice cream. Grrr!

And every time a product gets smaller, we get the asinine "New Look!" announcement on the label, heh.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2015 5:07 PM, Miss Kitty wrote:
> On Monday, January 12, 2015 at 12:43:26 PM UTC-6, Wilson wrote:
>> On 01/11/15 3:49 PM, Judy wrote:
>>> I went to pick up a package of cake mix off the shelf at the grocery store (hadn't bought one for a long time) and thought the box seemed smaller. It was! Cake mixes use to be 18.25 oz. and now they are only 15.25 oz. I looked on the same aisle and pudding mixes are smaller too.
>>>
>>> I have several cake recipes that use a mix, and then have other ingredients added, but did make up a "cake mix extender" that someone posted in another cooking group, and 6 tbsp. of that added to the recipe, produces good results, but otherwise I don't think the old favorite recipes using the smaller size mixes would be very good. I guess the solution would be to make one's own cake from 'scratch' for perfect results.
>>>
>>> Many canned items, such as pumpkin, evaporated milk, tuna and canned fruits, veggies, etc. all have less in the can, and yet the prices have continued to go up.
>>>
>>> What does everyone think about paying more now for less?
>>>
>>> Judy
>>>

>> I think selling a 4 lbs. bag of sugar that used to be 5 lbs. is more
>> insidious than just raising the price a little at a time. My first
>> observation was with the 1/2 gal. container of ice cream. Grrr!

> And every time a product gets smaller, we get the asinine "New Look!" announcement on the label, heh.

I'm always surprised people are suprised by this. It's nothing new.

I'm thinking specifically now about canned vegetables or tomato sauce.
Slap a new label on it and maybe no one will notice it now weighs only
14.5 oz.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I get 3 plates of spaghetti from a 24 oz jar of Rag or Prego, if they shrink the jars any more it will mess me up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 12, 2015 at 5:13:57 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> I get 3 plates of spaghetti from a 24 oz jar of Rag or Prego, if they shrink the jars any more it will mess me up.

You buy Prego? That stuff is 9or at least used to be) syrupy sweet.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 2:49:24 PM UTC-6, Judy wrote:
> I went to pick up a package of cake mix off the shelf at the grocery store (hadn't bought one for a long time) and thought the box seemed smaller. It was! Cake mixes use to be 18.25 oz. and now they are only 15.25 oz. I looked on the same aisle and pudding mixes are smaller too.
>
> I have several cake recipes that use a mix, and then have other ingredients added, but did make up a "cake mix extender" that someone posted in another cooking group, and 6 tbsp. of that added to the recipe, produces good results, but otherwise I don't think the old favorite recipes using the smaller size mixes would be very good. I guess the solution would be to make one's own cake from 'scratch' for perfect results.
>
> Many canned items, such as pumpkin, evaporated milk, tuna and canned fruits, veggies, etc. all have less in the can, and yet the prices have continued to go up.
>
> What does everyone think about paying more now for less?

If this is the return of Alaska Judy, 1/2 of Dumb and Dumber, where Julie
Bove is the other half...

And even if not, that's a dumb question.

> Judy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tomorrow I'll use Ragu chunky green pepper and mushroom for spaghetti, or should a say Barilla whole grain rotini which is really only half whole grain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2015 1:43 PM, Wilson wrote:

> I think selling a 4 lbs. bag of sugar that used to be 5 lbs. is more
> insidious than just raising the price a little at a time. My first
> observation was with the 1/2 gal. container of ice cream. Grrr!

While I agree with you, we can still get 5# bags here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 12, 2015 at 5:36:22 PM UTC-6, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 2:49:24 PM UTC-6, Judy wrote:
> > I went to pick up a package of cake mix off the shelf at the grocery store (hadn't bought one for a long time) and thought the box seemed smaller. It was! Cake mixes use to be 18.25 oz. and now they are only 15.25 oz. I looked on the same aisle and pudding mixes are smaller too.
> >
> > I have several cake recipes that use a mix, and then have other ingredients added, but did make up a "cake mix extender" that someone posted in another cooking group, and 6 tbsp. of that added to the recipe, produces good results, but otherwise I don't think the old favorite recipes using the smaller size mixes would be very good. I guess the solution would be to make one's own cake from 'scratch' for perfect results.
> >
> > Many canned items, such as pumpkin, evaporated milk, tuna and canned fruits, veggies, etc. all have less in the can, and yet the prices have continued to go up.
> >
> > What does everyone think about paying more now for less?
> >

> If this is the return of Alaska Judy, 1/2 of Dumb and Dumber, where Julie
> Bove is the other half...
>
> And even if not, that's a dumb question.
> >
> > Judy

> --Bryan

You and Marty ought to get together to pontificate. Wow, I bet that would be a regular Algonquin Round Table....<cough cough snicker>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Next week my grocery has jumbo 24 oz boxes of Kellogg's reg miniwheats and raisin bran for $2.99, pretty cheap if dates are good.