Jon Choate

"Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry deletethis @cfl.rr.com> wrote in message >...
> "Dana Myers" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Jon Choate wrote:
> >
> > > I usually keep 4 kinds of salt in my kitchen. I keep c/p salt for
> > > brines and cold marinades, kosher salt for cooking, and sea salt in a

> > My pantry is a little simpler - I use two types of salt.
> > Coarse and fine sea salt. I'm curious if it's really
> > bad to use sea salt for brining - it's never been a

> You can use any kind of salt for brining, though non-iodized salt is my
> preference (Kosher, Sea or Pickling). You just have to make allowances for
> how much "salt" is in the salt when you're mixing your brine and/or
> calculating how long to leave your food in it. Salt is NaCl. The various

About the only salt I would not use is iodized. Using the C/p usually
has to do with a combination of ease and habit. I find it mixes best
in cold to lukewarm water. It is usually the only non-liquid item in
my brines.

The habit part has to do with a little ole lady we grew up near. Our
Scoutmasters wife to be exact. She always kept canning salt in
abundance, and used it in everything. Especially deer meat. She had a
recipe she used when she put up fresh deer meat that made it the best
tasting in the world.

Unfortunately, she has not shared...yet...and all I know is she would
salt the meat, let it sit overnight, then put it in a gallon freezer
bag, cover it with water, and freeze it. She would usually do roasts
in this manner for us, which we would carry home and keep in the
freezer. We would pull them out before a camping trip, let it thaw,
cut it into steaks, and as we were camping we would grill it over an
open fire. Nothing else, just those steaks. With the smoke from the
fire and mild saltiness, it had a flavor similar to country ham, but
with a texture of steak. I have tried repeating this, since I now live
over 150 miles away, but have not had any luck yet.