Bubba

Default Doing baby backs and pulled pork at once

Dave W. wrote:
> A query from a relative newbie to the smoking / BBQ world:
>
> This weedend I decided to try my hand at doing pulled pork so I went to
> Wallyworld and got a slightly less than 4 lb pork butt. I noticed a
> rather small (about 2 lb) package of baby backs and thought maybe I
> could do them along with the butt. I intended to do the butt at about
> 200 to 225 for, oh, who knows? 10, 12, 14, 16 hrs? Whatever it takes to
> get up to about 190 deg internal and pull well.
>
> I notice in the FAQ (and in some posts here in recent years) that people
> say to smoke baby backs at a higher temp (350 or so) and for a shorter
> time than spares. I also think it said in the FAQ that it is easier to
> overcook baby backs. I certainly expect to pull the ribs out of the
> smoker well before the butt is done .... but:
>
> The question ... can I do the baby backs at 220 for a longer time than
> one would normally cook them? Am I heading for trouble? What are
> overcooked baby backs like?
>
> Advice, tips, and such accepted with deep gratitude ....
>
> Dave W.

My guess is your cooking for the two of you by the "small" sizes. Those
ribs should be OK after 4-5 hours. Ive done em on a WSM at around 220
and they were fine. If you can cook the butt above the ribs would be
helpful. Good Luck and think bigger cuts for leftovers.