Jon Choate

Default Question about salt for brining

"Kent H." > wrote in message >...
> Kosher salt for brining is a waste of money. Don't use iodized salt. Use
> the Kosher salt on the table.
> Kent

All they had
> > was regular table salt, tender quick (already know this is not right)
> > and sea salt.
> >
> > Will the sea salt work? None of the grocery stores in my area carry
> > other types of salt.
> >
> > Suggestions?

I always use canning/pickling salt for my brines. It dissolves fast in
cold water, and should not have any chemical additives

You can usually find it with the other salt. If not, it should be with
the canning supplies. If your grocery store does not have it, check
your local hometown hardware store. Since this is the height of
pickling season, it should not be hard to find.

I usually keep 4 kinds of salt in my kitchen. I keep c/p salt for
brines and cold marinades, kosher salt for cooking, and sea salt in a
pepper mill for those who insist on having it on the table. There is
also a box of Rock Salt that I keep beside the I/C freezer, because
there's nothing better on a hot GA afternoon that ole-fashioned
homemade ice cream.

I have never had anything brined come out salty unless it remains in
the brine for more than 72 hours. Let me know how your's comes out.

Jon