Jack Curry

Default Question about salt for brining

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message
m...
> Jon Choate wrote:
>
> > I usually keep 4 kinds of salt in my kitchen. I keep c/p salt for
> > brines and cold marinades, kosher salt for cooking, and sea salt in a
> > pepper mill for those who insist on having it on the table. There is
> > also a box of Rock Salt that I keep beside the I/C freezer, because
> > there's nothing better on a hot GA afternoon that ole-fashioned
> > homemade ice cream.

> My pantry is a little simpler - I use two types of salt.
> Coarse and fine sea salt. I'm curious if it's really
> bad to use sea salt for brining - it's never been a
> problem for me. I wouldn't can or pickle in sea
> salt, with the extended exposure, though.
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

Dana,

You can use any kind of salt for brining, though non-iodized salt is my
preference (Kosher, Sea or Pickling). You just have to make allowances for
how much "salt" is in the salt when you're mixing your brine and/or
calculating how long to leave your food in it. Salt is NaCl. The various
types you can buy differ by source/additives/consistency, etc.

Jack Curry