M&M

Default Doing baby backs and pulled pork at once

On 6-Aug-2004, "Dave W." > wrote:

> A query from a relative newbie to the smoking / BBQ world:
>
> This weedend I decided to try my hand at doing pulled pork so I went to
> Wallyworld and got a slightly less than 4 lb pork butt. I noticed a
> rather small (about 2 lb) package of baby backs and thought maybe I
> could do them along with the butt. I intended to do the butt at about
> 200 to 225 for, oh, who knows? 10, 12, 14, 16 hrs? Whatever it takes to
> get up to about 190 deg internal and pull well.
>
> I notice in the FAQ (and in some posts here in recent years) that people
> say to smoke baby backs at a higher temp (350 or so) and for a shorter
> time than spares. I also think it said in the FAQ that it is easier to
> overcook baby backs. I certainly expect to pull the ribs out of the
> smoker well before the butt is done .... but:
>
> The question ... can I do the baby backs at 220 for a longer time than
> one would normally cook them? Am I heading for trouble? What are
> overcooked baby backs like?
>
> Advice, tips, and such accepted with deep gratitude ....
>
> Dave W.
>
> --
> In the Ozarks. Dot edu will do for email.

Damn, this comes up all to often. Cook at whatever temp you
like and take it off when it's done. There's nothing wrong with
low and slow, but it don't have anything to do with historical
'Q'. Picture a spit over an open fire out on the prairie. Some
of us here cook at higher temps. It's done when it's done. Be
sure to take it off when it is. Don't keep fooling with it. Peeking
ain't cooking. Give it enough time to get close. Use a digital
therm if you can get one. If not, use the wiggle bone/twist
fork test, but only late in the cook. Don't use any kind of fork
on your meat before it's near done. It'll bleed to death if you do.

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")