bigwheel bigwheel is offline
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On Sunday, June 22, 2014 3:40:22 PM UTC-7, pltrgyst wrote:

According to Forschner, their knives are made from X50CrMoV15 steel with
a Rockwell hardness of 55-56. The standard or "classic" knife lines from
Lion Sabatiers, Wusthof, and Henckel knives are all spec'd at the same
Rockwell 56.They all use the same X50CrMoV15 stainless steel. Basically,
the only differences among all these blades are thickness, curve, and
bolster design. So far as harness and ability to hold an edge, they're
all the same.

Most Globals and the more exotic lines from German manufacturers are 58;
VG-10, Eden Damask and Henckel Miyabi steel knives are 60; Shuns are 60.

....Get the Fibrox handles. Pros dont like wood handles.

Most lowly-paid kitchen staff use their own knife rolls, and choose
Forschner and the like primarily because of price -- that's all they can
afford, or all they want to put at risk in a commercial kitchen.

The cheap restaurant supply I went to sells Dexter Russells as well
as Forschners. They used to sell F. Dick (a little less chrome) but
no longer.

The trouble with wooden handles is that they absorb moisture, and then
they can gap away from the blade tang.
Not sure what goes through the heads of lowly restaurant workers..but lowly butchers like Forschners. I was the proud owner of a Russel Dexter one time..sorriest peece of sheet knife I ever ownen. Finally managed to give it away to some unfortunate person. A person who insists to own Hinkles and Wustoffs need to invest in a grinding wheel and learn how to use it.