Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default American foodstuffs

"jinx the minx" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "Pete C." > wrote in message
>> om...

>>> Bingo!
>>>
>>> It's very easy to find non "enhanced" meats, reasonably priced fresh
>>> vegetables and high quality breads. Certainly we have access to a lot of
>>> non-perishable foodstuffs, but all the normal fresh stuff is quite
>>> perishable.
>>>
>>> Mostly folks in Europe and elsewhere have a difficult time grasping just
>>> how large and diverse the US is. If they think about applying a
>>> generalization to the whole of Europe they might start to understand how
>>> silly it is to generalize about the US. Each US state is more comparable
>>> to an entire European country and there are 50 US states and a handfull
>>> of territories that are all notably different from each other.

>> Yep. And each part of the country has foods that are common there but
>> less common elsewhere. Like that soup that I ate in South Dakota...or
>> was it North Dakota? I had never heard of it and when I asked what was
>> in it, the waitress looked at me like I had two heads. It was a potato
>> dumpling soup that is dead common there but AFAIK never served in
>> restaurants anywhere else. Might be made at home if the person was
>> familiar with it though.
>>
>> Or the guy in TX who was talking about Cicis. I didn't know what Cicis
>> was and he replied that he thought they were everywhere. Nope. Pizza
>> place. I have since seen ads on TV for them but we still don't have
>> them.
>>
>> If you were to order nachos on Cape Cod, you'd get them all covered with
>> lettuce. So if this was your first time eating them, you might think
>> this is typical Nope. Never seen the lettuce anywhere else but Cape
>> Cod.

> Restaurant nachos in the Midwest are also commonly served with shredded
> lettuce on top. It's not unique to Cape Cod.

Really? We didn't have nachos yet when I lived there. Okay. I stand
corrected. But you won't find lettuce on them here.

My bro and SIL did order taquitos this weekend and they came served on a
weird bed of salad. Huge pile it of. Shredded lettuce and finely chopped
tomatoes. That part wasn't listed on the menu. I could see how it elevated
the taquitos on one end, perhaps making for a better presentation but
then... It's never a good idea to put hot fried food on lettuce. Only
wilts it.

Bob's Burger and Brew serves their Joe Joes on and fries on large lettuce
leaves. I always immediately pull those off of the plate. The lettuce goes
soggy and any of the potatoes that touched it go soggy too. Makes no sense
to me.