Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default American foodstuffs

"Moe DeLoughan" > wrote in message
> Grabbed this quote from Gawker, where a commenter was talking about
> American food:
>
> "She says that compared to food in Ireland (where she lives) US bread is
> sweet, nothing is perishable, fresh fruit and vegetables are really
> expensive, and the meat is full of water and has a weird texture."
>
> All true.

Nonsense! Some fruits and vegetables are expensive. Depends on where you
live and what you buy.

You can get organic, grass fed meat here and it's not full of wahter.

And not all bread is sweet.

> I never understood the widespread practice of adding sugar to bread dough,
> and what corporate food production has done to meat is a crime.

I add sugar when I make bread from scratch but it's a very tiny amount. I
always read that it was to help the yeast along. The bread I make toast with
has honey instead of sugar. It does taste sweet. But I don't think most
bread tastes sweet,