Dave W.

Default Doing baby backs and pulled pork at once

In article >,
Kevin S. Wilson > wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 23:19:45 GMT, Bob in socal >
> wrote:
>
> >IMHO, I would load the ribs on the top grill and the butt on the
> >lower. I would cook the ribs at whatever and not even worry
> >about the butt till the ribs were done and out of the smoker.
> >The butt has to get to 190-195 internal and if your temp goes
> >up to 350 doing the ribs, so be it. There is no magic in 220
> >for butts as has been discussed here many times.

> That's the best advice I've seen in this thread so far, including
> mine. However, I don't remember if you said what you were cooking on,
> so I don't know if you'll be able to moderate the temp after the ribs
> are done. I would want to be able to bring the temp down (though not
> to 220) so that I could continue to low-and-slow the butts, if only to
> ensure that the fat got rendered.

This is a Lazy-Que setup ... electric with a stainless steel pan set on
the single element the temp of which is controlled by a rheostat (sp?).
I'll soak some hickory chips for the pan and smoke early and lightly.

I think Bob's advice makes a lot of sense and, as you and that other Bob
suggest, I can drop the temp after the ribs are done. So the plan is
ribs on the top rack, the butt under that, and a pan of hot water under
that, over the smoke pan.

Thanks to all for the good advice. I'll tell you if anything remarkable
happens ... meanwhile I'll continue to read and learn.

Dave W.

--
In the Ozarks. Dot edu will do for email.