Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Betadine discontinued: UK replacement for sanitizing brewing equipment?

"Jethro_uk" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 09 May 2014 10:56:30 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:
>
>> On 09/05/14 10:19, Adam Funk wrote:
>>> Sorry for the crossposting --- feel free to reply to any one of the 3
>>> groups, as I read them all.
>>>
>>> I'm about to start back on some winemaking & homebrewing after a gap of
>>> several years, & my bottle of Betadine Antiseptic Solution (aqueous,
>>> povidone-iodine USP 10% w/v) is almost empty & has expired. I asked for
>>> a replacement at the local pharmacy & was told that it's been
>>> discontinued (searching the WWW agrees). I'm looking for something
>>> identical or similar under another name to use as a no-rinse sanitizer.
>>>
>>> The closest things I've found are Vetadine & Vetasept, both sold for
>>> veterinary use. They look like the same thing as Betadine, but
>>> Vetadine is only sold in small bottles at a much higher price.
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>>

>> What's wrong with sodium metabisulphite?

> It's not "no rinse". Because I bottle my beer, trying to sanitise 45
> bottles, and then rinse them is a PITA. Then I read in a forum about no-
> rinsing, and a bottle-washing pump. You fill the pumps bowl with 500ml of
> no-rinse sanitiser (StarSan), and press the bottle down onto a spout
> which sprays the inside. Leave to dry, bottle. Been doing this for over a
> year now, and it's perfect.

I use the dishwasher for my glass bottles. Both what we
call stubbys, 375 ml and longnecks, 750ml. Works fine.

With the 750ml PETS I use a little non scented bleach
in the bottom, fill with water, let it stand overnight,
rinse well with cold tap water. You do have to be
careful to rinse well otherwise you can kill the
secondary fermentation and end up with flat beer.