Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia[_11_] Ophelia[_11_] is offline

Default Lobster oink on MoDay

> wrote in message
> On Fri, 9 May 2014 11:42:07 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>>> Here it is next Sunday but I find it repugnant, just another big
>>> marketing ploy like Xmas.

>>Yes but its origins is 'Mothering Sunday' and I think of it as that

> Yes Mothering Sunday was completely different, hardly a marketing
> ploy. I seem to recall it consisted of just visiting, spending time
> with your mother and picking her a posy of primroses from the
> hedgerow.

It was really the day for mothers to visit their Mother Church. Then it
also became a time when girls in service were give that day off each year to
visit their mothers A day to appreciate mothers it a good thing

> For Mothers Day here it is amazing what absurdities they can label as
> ideal for Mothers Day. Basically there are three overblown days,
> Xmas, Valentines (the original meaning of that completely lost in
> marketing!) and Mothers Day.

Same here but I ignore all that. They will latch onto anything to make
money!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/