Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lobster oink on MoDay

Today was Mother's Day, so I went to visit Mom for lunch. Got her a
nice card and a vased bouquet of roses, lilies, pansies(?), and baby
breath. She seemed genuinely pleased.

Now, confession time: family is elegible for a free meal. I rarely
indulge, but this time lunch included steak and lobster, baked potato
and asparagus, w/ strawb shortdake fer dessert. You think I'm gonna
pass up a free meal like that? Momma notbob never raised such a
foolish child!

Everything was pretty good, considering it's institution food. Hard
to mess up a baked potato. The steak (no choice, we got both!)
looked and cut tough, but upon chewing, I came to realize it was a
pretty good cut of beef, jes slightly over done, as institute food is
prone to be, but a enjoyable 4 ozs of beef. Sadly, the asparagus was
boiled unto its death. Fresh asparagus cooked so long, it made canned
look good. Absolutely zero flavor. I didn't know you could screw up
fresh asparagus so badly. Finally, the lobster tails. OMG!!!!

They nailed the lobster. Neither undercooked nor overcooked and with
jes a hint of butter. I thought I was gonna die. It's been quite
some time since I enjoyed lobster, so I was looking forward to it, yet
fearing the worst. The care ladies knew I was coming so they saved
the biggest for me. I needn't have worried. Bug tail nirvana! A few
of the patients, including my mom, didn't care for the lobster, but it
did not go to waste. Mom gladly traded her lobster for my
strwb/shrtck. Another turned up her nose and asked if I wanted her's.
Is water wet? No indian giving! I figure I got a good 12 oz of
excellent bug butt. I stopped by the kitchen and complimented the
head cook on his triumph and I'm certainly gonna pay more attention to
future menus.

Happy Day, all you Mothers!

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> Today was Mother's Day, so I went to visit Mom for lunch. Got her a
> nice card and a vased bouquet of roses, lilies, pansies(?), and baby
> breath. She seemed genuinely pleased.
>
> Now, confession time: family is elegible for a free meal. I rarely
> indulge, but this time lunch included steak and lobster, baked potato
> and asparagus, w/ strawb shortdake fer dessert. You think I'm gonna
> pass up a free meal like that? Momma notbob never raised such a
> foolish child!
>
> Everything was pretty good, considering it's institution food. Hard
> to mess up a baked potato. The steak (no choice, we got both!)
> looked and cut tough, but upon chewing, I came to realize it was a
> pretty good cut of beef, jes slightly over done, as institute food is
> prone to be, but a enjoyable 4 ozs of beef. Sadly, the asparagus was
> boiled unto its death. Fresh asparagus cooked so long, it made canned
> look good. Absolutely zero flavor. I didn't know you could screw up
> fresh asparagus so badly. Finally, the lobster tails. OMG!!!!
>
> They nailed the lobster. Neither undercooked nor overcooked and with
> jes a hint of butter. I thought I was gonna die. It's been quite
> some time since I enjoyed lobster, so I was looking forward to it, yet
> fearing the worst. The care ladies knew I was coming so they saved
> the biggest for me. I needn't have worried. Bug tail nirvana! A few
> of the patients, including my mom, didn't care for the lobster, but it
> did not go to waste. Mom gladly traded her lobster for my
> strwb/shrtck. Another turned up her nose and asked if I wanted her's.
> Is water wet? No indian giving! I figure I got a good 12 oz of
> excellent bug butt. I stopped by the kitchen and complimented the
> head cook on his triumph and I'm certainly gonna pay more attention to
> future menus.
>
> Happy Day, all you Mothers!

Thanks nb I am so pleased you had a nice time with your Mum)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "notbob" wrote:
> > Today was Mother's Day,

Not on my planet.

> Thanks nb I am so pleased you had a nice time with your Mum

I'm wondering how he's going to top that on Sunday (the 11th).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "notbob" wrote:
>> > Today was Mother's Day,

> Not on my planet.
>
>> Thanks nb I am so pleased you had a nice time with your Mum

> I'm wondering how he's going to top that on Sunday (the 11th).

It is different in various places We had Mothering Sunday here a few
weeks ago, but today I received a card from daughter who lives in Germany
Theirs is on Sunday

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-08, Ophelia > wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...

>> I'm wondering how he's going to top that on Sunday (the 11th).

> It is different in various places We had Mothering Sunday here a few
> weeks ago, but today I received a card from daughter who lives in Germany
> Theirs is on Sunday

The "home" always picks a day when it's convenient. Xmas dinner was
the 12th. I'm gonna argue?

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8 May 2014 19:21:39 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>Today was Mother's Day,

It's still two days away.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-08, Jeßus > wrote:
> On 8 May 2014 19:21:39 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>>Today was Mother's Day,

> It's still two days away.

My mom didn't care.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8 May 2014 22:06:43 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2014-05-08, Jeßus > wrote:
>> On 8 May 2014 19:21:39 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>>
>>>Today was Mother's Day,

>> It's still two days away.

>My mom didn't care.

Your mom sounds carefree.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2014-05-08, Ophelia > wrote:
>
>> "Gary" > wrote in message

>>> I'm wondering how he's going to top that on Sunday (the 11th).

>> It is different in various places We had Mothering Sunday here a few
>> weeks ago, but today I received a card from daughter who lives in
>> Germany
>> Theirs is on Sunday

> The "home" always picks a day when it's convenient. Xmas dinner was
> the 12th. I'm gonna argue?

lol you had better not dare !!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2014-05-08, Jeßus > wrote:
>> On 8 May 2014 19:21:39 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>>
>>>Today was Mother's Day,

>> It's still two days away.

> My mom didn't care.

Nor should she I got my card and pressies a couple of days ago from
Germany and they are on display already Heck let's enjoy whenever we
can)
When I thanked daughter she told me off. 'It isn't until Sunday she said'
<g> I told her I didn't care and that I am enjoying them now))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Thu, 8 May 2014 22:01:46 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>>> Not on my planet.

>>> I'm wondering how he's going to top that on Sunday (the 11th).

>>It is different in various places We had Mothering Sunday here a few
>>weeks ago, but today I received a card from daughter who lives in
>>Germany
>>Theirs is on Sunday

> Here it is next Sunday but I find it repugnant, just another big
> marketing ploy like Xmas.

Yes but its origins is 'Mothering Sunday' and I think of it as that

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Fri, 9 May 2014 11:42:07 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>>> Here it is next Sunday but I find it repugnant, just another big
>>> marketing ploy like Xmas.

>>Yes but its origins is 'Mothering Sunday' and I think of it as that

> Yes Mothering Sunday was completely different, hardly a marketing
> ploy. I seem to recall it consisted of just visiting, spending time
> with your mother and picking her a posy of primroses from the
> hedgerow.

It was really the day for mothers to visit their Mother Church. Then it
also became a time when girls in service were give that day off each year to
visit their mothers A day to appreciate mothers it a good thing

> For Mothers Day here it is amazing what absurdities they can label as
> ideal for Mothers Day. Basically there are three overblown days,
> Xmas, Valentines (the original meaning of that completely lost in
> marketing!) and Mothers Day.

Same here but I ignore all that. They will latch onto anything to make
money!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> A day to appreciate mothers is a good thing

Sadly, many people are "guilted" into contacting Mom on Mother's Day.
I talk to my mom every Saturday morning and often for a bit on other
days. I appreciate her every single day and Mother's Day is just a
thing. But I will give her a second call on sunday to say "happy md"
I know she will appreciate it.

I'll miss her someday but I won't ever feel guilty for not contacting
her much when she is alive. Your mom rules and she's the only one
you'll ever have. :-D

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> A day to appreciate mothers is a good thing

> Sadly, many people are "guilted" into contacting Mom on Mother's Day.
> I talk to my mom every Saturday morning and often for a bit on other
> days. I appreciate her every single day and Mother's Day is just a
> thing. But I will give her a second call on sunday to say "happy md"
> I know she will appreciate it.

She is a lucky lady)

> I'll miss her someday but I won't ever feel guilty for not contacting
> her much when she is alive. Your mom rules and she's the only one
> you'll ever have. :-D

Very true

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/