Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Thomas Prufer Thomas Prufer is offline

Default What's your favorite Slaw recipe?

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 21:06:27 +0000 (UTC), Do Be Do Wah > wrote:

>I've been using a copycat recipe for KFC coleslaw and I'm getting tired of
>it and want to try something different. If you got a favorite recipe, post
>it here!

German "Krautsalat", recipe with handwaving "by feel" amounts.

Slice raw cabbage thinly, skipping the thick woody bits in the middle. (Think
sauerkraut). Salt, mix in really well by hand. OK to oversalt, because you will
pour of a part of that salt. Let stand until it weeps, 1/2 hour or so.

Fry bacon. Alternatively dice ham/pork finely.

Boil a broth, instant is fine. Add ham/bacon bits, whole caraway seeds and
vinegar, trace of sugar. (I like to boil that well so the caraway softens a
bit.)

Drain salty fluid from cabbage. Put boiling broth over cabbage. Cabbage should
be well wetted by the broth, not drenched. Cover well, and let steep until cool.
Cabbage should be not raw, not cooked.

Add a bit of oil, to taste.

(Easy on the oil, easier on the sugar. The sugar is to give the vinegar body,
not to sweeten.)

Thomas Prufer