Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default What's your favorite Slaw recipe?

I've been using a copycat recipe for KFC coleslaw and I'm getting tired of
it and want to try something different. If you got a favorite recipe, post
it here!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Do Be Do Wah > wrote:
> I've been using a copycat recipe for KFC coleslaw and I'm getting tired of
> it and want to try something different. If you got a favorite recipe, post
> it here!

The best slaw I've had, was made with really thick cabbage, not a soupy
mess.

Greg
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2014-04-21, Do Be Do Wah > wrote:
> I've been using a copycat recipe for KFC coleslaw and I'm getting tired of
> it and want to try something different. If you got a favorite recipe, post
> it here!

An old fave is mustard-pineapple slaw.

Take some pineapple chunks and put in with the cabbage, then mix in a
simple mayo/mustard/sugar/pineapple-juice dressing. It's sweet n'
sour, the mustard (French's Yellow) providing the sour, the sugar and
pineapple juice, the sweet. Don't mix all together until jes before
serving, as the pineapple quickly sogs out the cabbage.

nb
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 21:06:27 +0000 (UTC), Do Be Do Wah > wrote:

>I've been using a copycat recipe for KFC coleslaw and I'm getting tired of
>it and want to try something different. If you got a favorite recipe, post
>it here!

German "Krautsalat", recipe with handwaving "by feel" amounts.

Slice raw cabbage thinly, skipping the thick woody bits in the middle. (Think
sauerkraut). Salt, mix in really well by hand. OK to oversalt, because you will
pour of a part of that salt. Let stand until it weeps, 1/2 hour or so.

Fry bacon. Alternatively dice ham/pork finely.

Boil a broth, instant is fine. Add ham/bacon bits, whole caraway seeds and
vinegar, trace of sugar. (I like to boil that well so the caraway softens a
bit.)

Drain salty fluid from cabbage. Put boiling broth over cabbage. Cabbage should
be well wetted by the broth, not drenched. Cover well, and let steep until cool.
Cabbage should be not raw, not cooked.

Add a bit of oil, to taste.

(Easy on the oil, easier on the sugar. The sugar is to give the vinegar body,
not to sweeten.)

Thomas Prufer
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Apr-2014, Thomas Prufer > wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 21:06:27 +0000 (UTC), Do Be Do Wah >
> wrote:
>
> >I've been using a copycat recipe for KFC coleslaw and I'm getting tired
> >of
> >it and want to try something different. If you got a favorite recipe,
> >post
> >it here!

> German "Krautsalat", recipe with handwaving "by feel" amounts.
>
> Slice raw cabbage thinly, skipping the thick woody bits in the middle.
> (Think
> sauerkraut). Salt, mix in really well by hand. OK to oversalt, because you
> will
> pour of a part of that salt. Let stand until it weeps, 1/2 hour or so.
>
> Fry bacon. Alternatively dice ham/pork finely.
>
> Boil a broth, instant is fine. Add ham/bacon bits, whole caraway seeds and
> vinegar, trace of sugar. (I like to boil that well so the caraway softens
> bit.)
>
> Drain salty fluid from cabbage. Put boiling broth over cabbage. Cabbage
> should
> be well wetted by the broth, not drenched. Cover well, and let steep until
> cool.
> Cabbage should be not raw, not cooked.
>
> Add a bit of oil, to taste.
>
> (Easy on the oil, easier on the sugar. The sugar is to give the vinegar
> body,
> not to sweeten.)
>

> Thomas Prufer

This is kind of close to what you just did there. It's
certainly one of my all time favorites. Methinks this
version could use just a smidgen of lemon juice though.

This is from Ginger the BBQ Girl and I'm sure she copied
it from someone else. The actual origin is obscure, but
somebody brought it to a gathering at Bob and Ginger's
homestead in Milan, GA many years ago.

Ingredients

1 medium head cabbage, finely shredded
3 to 4 green onions, sliced
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup vinegar
1-1/2 teaspoons celery seed
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 cup canola oil

Directions

In a large bowl, combine cabbage and onions. In a saucepan, combine the
sugar, vinegar, celery seed and salt; bring to a boil. Add oil; return
to boiling and cook until sugar dissolves. Pour over cabbage; toss
gently. Chill. Yield: 14-18 servings.

Brick said that.

Yummy Slaw Recipe ImStillMags General Cooking 3 27-06-2013 05:15 PM
Favorite slaw recipe follow up vex[_4_] Barbecue 15 07-10-2009 02:28 PM
Favorite slaw recipe? vex[_4_] Barbecue 25 25-09-2009 05:44 AM
Any Coles slaw recipe Diabetic 11 13-10-2006 02:50 PM
need cole slaw recipe w/o mayo pfoley General Cooking 32 15-08-2006 07:06 PM