Posted to rec.food.preserving
songbird songbird is offline

Default old time flexible sealers

George Shirley wrote:
> Remember not to put the well to close to the privy, that's important.

no privy here, too high of a water table and
chances of flooding in some areas, just not worth
the risk, if we are forced to go low tech, i'll
hot pile compost our poo in the highest area i
can build up (making sure that any run off goes
into a non-veggie garden to filter it and keep
it from ruining crops). keeping the pile covered
and managed through time will give safe compost
for garden use.

>> Remember too, people had large families. They were necessary to keep
>> everything going since one or two people could not do it.
>>

> That's why we have so many grands and great grands. Use them as labor
> before the zombies get us or use them for food. Ancient peoples had
> large families for a reason, 1) free labor, 2) food if necessary, look
> at ancient Chinese history, they were open enough to admit it where the
> Europeans kept it quiet.

i recently came across references to this in
the book called _Dirt_ by Montgomery. also to
the fact that while China may recycle human wastes
in the countryside it doesn't mean they avoid
famines (they've suffered an estimated 1800+ number
of famines over the period of recent recorded
history, about one every year and a half). they
would not eat their own children (very often) but
they would sell them to another family...

personally, i don't think enough is gained by
eating people to make it worth it. low quality
contaminated meat from an apex omnivore, not
what i want to be eating. at least for the
first few generations. by the time the
environment recovers i'll be long gone. in the
meantime, use me as compost or bury me right
into a garden. i don't care, at least then the
soil can do most of the detox and the critters
can use what they can and the plants will get
some of it. a fair exchange for what they have
given me.

> I may start watching the myriad of TV shows on the subject. Hmm, may
> need more weapons.
>
> George, enjoying this conversation

songbird