Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default old time flexible sealers

> In article >, songbird
> > wrote:
>
>> yes, some of those, plenty of fermented foods too,
>> just trying to see what people can think up that is
>> out of the box and not reliant upon manufactured
>> items from far away.
>>
>> also, having plenty of beans and grains on hand
>> for sprouting is a good alternative to not having
>> any fresh greens during the winter months. still
>> i would like to have a full variety of things to work
>> with and choose from. nutrition from a mix of
>> sources.

> Back "in the day" (40-50 years ago) we used paraffin for jams, jellies
> and such. Anything else went in the pressure cooker with rubber
> sealers.
>
> Not sure what Great Granny used...
>
> Pickles and sauerkraut were left fermenting in crocks in the cold
> cellar... Kimchee (in some recipes) is fermented in crocks that are
> buried in the ground.
>
> Humans have been curing meat for centuries. Nitrates/nitrites have
> been/are used (and can be harvested as crystals from manure piles, or
> potash if you happen to live in an area like ours where it very
> common), but as well as drying meat (aka jerky) there's salting (salt
> beef, salt cod) pickling (herring for instance, and corned beef) and of
> course smoking and combinations thereof (curing and smoking ham and
> bacon comes to mind, as well as sausages).
>
> Root cellars (caves, if there are any accessible) are critical. Grampa
> had a huge underground one, walled and roofed with timbers then covered
> with soil.
>
> Drying fruits and veggies, of course.
>
> If you have access to grain, you can grind for flour, but best to
> acquire mill stones before the zombie apocalypse.
>
> You may also want to investigate snares and deadfall traps for game.
>
> Stocking up on things like fish hooks, line and snare wire would seem
> to me a good idea.
>
> Learning to weave vessels for storage could be a useful skill as well,
> as is tanning hides. If you're in an area where you have a freeze in
> the winter, an icehouse is a great thing to have for the warmer months.
> You'll want an ice auger and saw.
>
> Also don't forget basic medical skills like setting breaks, dealing
> with infection, and serious lacerations or puncture wounds.
>
> Interesting thread.
>
> djb

Not to mention a large supply of various weapons and ammo for them,
include a few bows and many arrows. Sling shots are good for small game
and don't make a lot of noise. A large cache of Victor traps and lead
for the slings and for your ammunition, reloading equipment, steel for
arrow heads (chipping flint is a real job), stash of bow wood and arrow
shafts, wouldn't hurt to set up a small smithy.

How about an rfp apocalypse hide out?

George