Default Got my new pressure cooker. Now I have a new question.

In article >,
says...
> Last week some of you reccommended brands of pressure cookers. I was no
> longer able to get parts for my old one. I bought the 6 qt Fagor rapid.
> I really like it so thanks to all.
>
> New question: Is there a way to eliminate the smell of spices in those
> empty plastic McCormick jars. I would like to share some of my new
> spices that I buy and use very seldom with neighbors who live on fixed
> incomes. Anne

Good luck with the new pressure cooker. They're great kitchen tools.
You should find your 6 qt model much more versatile than a smaller one.

On the spice jar question, consider whether the characteristics of the
spice you'll be putting into the jar will even be affected by the
leftover aroma of the previous occupant. If you're putting garam masala
into a former dill weed container, it's a safe bet as to which aroma
will prevail.

Wayne's baking soda suggestion is good. In stubborn cases rinsing the
solution out after letting it set a night or two, then replacing it with
a fresh baking soda solution for another night or two may help. Using
hot water to make the baking soda solution, or even very gentle
simmering in a baking soda bath could also help. The squatty
translucent McCormick jars can take quite a bit of heat, but boiling
will probably do them in.

Bob