Steve Grinstead

Default Ha, I just found out who invented the briquette

On 2-Aug-2004, webkatz > wrote:

> After using lump for several years I've been trying the Royal Oak
> briquettes. According to my dealer, they have 2 lines of business - lump
> charcoal (good stuff in it's own right) and using a steam press to turn
> the leftover/undersized lump into briquettes (no coal, no paraffin, no
> sawdust).
>
> So far I'm pretty pleased with them. They seem a little bigger than your
> Kingsford variety, smell like lump when burning, hold a nice constant
> heat for a long time, and burn down to almost nothing.
>
> Anybody else using this?

Just got a 40# bag of Royal Oak a couple weeks ago. So far i've worked
about 1/2 way through it. Don't get me wrong there's probably 10# or so in
my WSM that I did a mess of chicken wings on.

I also used about 10# to grill everything from chicken breasts to bratwurst.
I just kept shutting the weber kettle down. Next time i needed to light
the charcoal chucked into the chimney onto the propane burner for 5 minutes
(if that) 15-20 minutes later i was cooking

I see my Do it Best hardware store special ordering this stuff for me a lot!

May get some royal oak lump too, but for $15 for 40# of charcoal i couldn't
pass it up.

Steve