Dave Bugg

Default Ha, I just found out who invented the briquette

Eddie wrote:
> Watching the food channel tonight where Q'n was being featured. Had a
> great segment on how Kingsford was made.
> So guess who invented the briquette?
> Henry Ford, with a little help from a friend named Thomas Edison.

I also loved seeing the production process. They use shredded *fir* and
*cedar* wood, along with some alder. It's then run through, on a conveyor,
through a huge retort that "toasts" the shreds at 600F. Then coal is
added -- about a third of the mixture -- then the mash is compressed into
briquettes and put under heat to dry out the moisture. Funny, they forgot
to mention the starches and other materials that are also added, but they
sure seemed proud of the amount of bituminous coal added.

Yummmmm.

Think I'll stick to hardwood lump and wood.