Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Christmas candy?

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 11:23:37 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 08:10:47 -0500, The Cook >
>wrote:
>snip
>

>> Chocolate Fudge
>>
>>Recipe By :
>>Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
>>Categories : Candy
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 3 cups sugar
>> 1 cup water
>> 1/4 pound chocolate, unsweetened
>> 1/4 pound butter
>> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
>>
>>Put water and chocolate into pan. Let it come to a boil, stirring
>>frequently to prevent burning.
>>
>>When the mixture thickens, add sugar. Stir occasionally until the
>>mixture again comes to a boil. When it reaches the soft ball stage,
>>add vanilla.
>>
>>Remove from heat. Drop in butter. When lukewarm, beat until it loses
>>its shine.
>>
>>Spread in 8" square pan. When cool, cut into squares.
>>
>>Source:
>> "Out of the Kitchen, Elkin Junior Womans Club"
>>Copyright:
>> "1949"
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

>Bear with me, I've never even tried (well, maybe once) making fudge
>that you watch for stages. But, I thought that water made chocolate
>seize? Not so?
>Janet US

Not the way this recipe works. I have used it since I was in my teens
(not long after the copyright date) especially when I could get
someone to help me beat it.

I haven't made it in a while since I did not need to eat it all. Maybe
I will try it again since I can take it to the place where I
volunteer. If it doesn't set I can have some syrup for ice cream.

My Thermopen booklet says that "soft ball" is 234° - 240° F.
--
Susan N.