Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Christmas candy?

I'm thinking about making some candy. Didn't we have a resident candy-making
expert here? What HAVE we done with him? I see some recipes call for
paraffin and some don't. Any one have a foolproof recipe for chocolate
covered cherries? I'll provide the fool. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-07 4:18 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
> I'm thinking about making some candy. Didn't we have a resident
> candy-making expert here? What HAVE we done with him? I see some
> recipes call for paraffin and some don't. Any one have a foolproof
> recipe for chocolate covered cherries? I'll provide the fool. Polly

I have toyed with the idea but there is just the two of us here. My wife
usually has pretty good will power and avoids eating sugar and carbs
except as a rare treat. I don't want to get stuck eating it all.

My mother used to make candies. She made some chocolate covered cherries
but my favourite was the coconut chocolates. They were like Mounds, but
better.

She also made Nanaimo bars, and I am talking real Nanaimo Bars, not
those crappy things they sell in stores.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 15:18:31 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

>I'm thinking about making some candy. Didn't we have a resident candy-making
>expert here? What HAVE we done with him? I see some recipes call for
>paraffin and some don't. Any one have a foolproof recipe for chocolate
>covered cherries? I'll provide the fool. Polly

You talking to me? You talking to ME??!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyZ4EINmDU8

Some recipes may call for paraffin to mix in melted chocolate to get
it to set up easily. Otherwise known as compound coatings, these are
not real chocolate to the chocolate conniseur. Best compound coating
I've found and I use is from Chocoley.com.

And I have a recipe for Chocolate Covered Cherries, but 1) it's not
fool proof and 2) you can't have it! It's a ton of work and expense
and makes the best Chocolate Covered Cherries on Earth (I'd dare to
say!) I use real pitted Bing cherries, not those marachino
monstrosities.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 15:18:31 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> > wrote:
>
>>I'm thinking about making some candy. Didn't we have a resident
>>candy-making
>>expert here? What HAVE we done with him? I see some recipes call for
>>paraffin and some don't. Any one have a foolproof recipe for chocolate
>>covered cherries? I'll provide the fool. Polly

> And I have a recipe for Chocolate Covered Cherries, but 1) it's not
> fool proof and 2) you can't have it! It's a ton of work and expense
> and makes the best Chocolate Covered Cherries on Earth (I'd dare to
> say!) I use real pitted Bing cherries, not those marachino
> monstrosities.
>
> John Kuthe...

Gee, that was helpful. LOL

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/7/2013 4:18 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
> I'm thinking about making some candy. Didn't we have a resident
> candy-making expert here? What HAVE we done with him? I see some
> recipes call for paraffin and some don't. Any one have a foolproof
> recipe for chocolate covered cherries? I'll provide the fool. Polly

I can't help you with chocolate covered cherries. I can tell you to
follow the recipe on the back of the marshmallow fluff to make fudge.
I changed it up a bit and used milk chocolate chips. That was a big hit.

Or you could try this. My grandma's recipe for Date-nut Coconut Candy:

Date Nut Coconut Candy

2 c. sugar
1 c. milk
1-1/2 Tbs. butter (or as her recipe stated, butter the size of a Walnut)
1 cup chopped dates
1 c. chopped walnuts
1 c. shredded coconut
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Combine sugar, milk and butter and cook until it reaches the soft ball
stage (test in cold water - mixture will flatten but can be picked up).
Add chopped dates and cook 5 minutes longer. Add chopped walnuts,
coconut and vanilla. Beat until thick.

Butter a 3 inch strip on 6 feet of waxed paper. Spoon the mixture along
the strip and spread with a knife into a square shape. Be careful, the
mixture is very hot. Let candy set, then cut into 1 inch squares.

I've made this and can attest to it being very hot, take care you don't
burn your fingers.

It's delicious. She always had some wrapped in waxed paper in her candy
dish when we came to visit.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> I'm thinking about making some candy. Didn't we have a resident
> candy-making expert here? What HAVE we done with him? I see some recipes
> call for paraffin and some don't. Any one have a foolproof recipe for
> chocolate covered cherries? I'll provide the fool. Polly

Alas I didn't keep the cookbook with the recipe. It was a kid's cookbook
though so you can't get more foolproof than that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On 12/7/2013 4:18 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
>> I'm thinking about making some candy. Didn't we have a resident
>> candy-making expert here? What HAVE we done with him? I see some
>> recipes call for paraffin and some don't. Any one have a foolproof
>> recipe for chocolate covered cherries? I'll provide the fool. Polly

Cheri nailed it. LOL. I don't want pretentious top secret stuff. Don't
want to sign up for flight school at the air base. Not a lot of tedious
technique or impossible equipment and ingredients. You'd smile at one of
the recipes I've found. It calls for 2 ounces of gum Arabic. Don't think
I'll be trying that one. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 18:12:18 -0600, John Kuthe >
wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 15:18:31 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> > wrote:
>
> >I'm thinking about making some candy. Didn't we have a resident candy-making
> >expert here? What HAVE we done with him? I see some recipes call for
> >paraffin and some don't. Any one have a foolproof recipe for chocolate
> >covered cherries? I'll provide the fool. Polly

> You talking to me? You talking to ME??!!

I'm pretty sure she is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/7/2013 3:18 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
> I'm thinking about making some candy. Didn't we have a resident
> candy-making expert here? What HAVE we done with him? I see some recipes
> call for paraffin and some don't. Any one have a foolproof recipe for
> chocolate covered cherries? I'll provide the fool. Polly

Chocolate cherries are *not* fool-proof, they are a PITA. Just buy a
box of 'em -- not the $1 a box ones, spring for the good ones ($3 a box,
lol)

Truffles are easy. Chocolate chips + heavy cream + flavorings.

Divinity is another good choice for having an assortment.

Peanut brittle is easy.

Here's my favorite fudge recipe. No sweetened condensed milk nor
marshmallows, it's honest fudge:

Old Fashioned Fudge
(Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)

2 cups sugar
3/4 cup milk
2 squares (2 oz.) unsweetened chocolate, cut up
1 teaspoon light-colored corn syrup
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts

Butter sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In it, combine suggar, milk,
chocolate, corn syrup, and dash salt. Cook and stir over medium heat
until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil. Continue cooking to
234ºF (soft-ball stage), stirring only as needed to prevent sticking
(mixture should boil gently over entire surface) Immediately remove from
heat; add butter but do not stir. Cool, without stirring to lukewarm
(110ºF), for 30 to 40 minutes. Add vanilla and nuts. Beat vigorously
for 7 to 10 minutes or until fudge becomes very thick and loses its gloss.

Quickly spread into a buttered 9x5" loaf pan. Score into squares while
warm; cut when firm. Makes about 1 1/4 pounds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 18:23:17 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 15:18:31 -0600, "Polly Esther"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I'm thinking about making some candy. Didn't we have a resident
>>>candy-making
>>>expert here? What HAVE we done with him? I see some recipes call for
>>>paraffin and some don't. Any one have a foolproof recipe for chocolate
>>>covered cherries? I'll provide the fool. Polly

>> And I have a recipe for Chocolate Covered Cherries, but 1) it's not
>> fool proof and 2) you can't have it! It's a ton of work and expense
>> and makes the best Chocolate Covered Cherries on Earth (I'd dare to
>> say!) I use real pitted Bing cherries, not those marachino
>> monstrosities.
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>Gee, that was helpful. LOL
>
>Cheri

I don't have my recipe in electronic form yet, and am not gonna
transcribe it right now. Oh wait, yes I do:

Chocolate Covered Cherries

1.5 lbs fresh cherries
1/2 bottle Cherry Kijafa (a Danish fortified cherry wine, pronounced
Kee-a'-fa, I believe)

Pit cherries, soak in Kijafa in refrigerator overnight. Then drain,
and makeup candy center dough:

3 tbs 70 degree F butter
3/4 cup marshmallow creme
1 tbs invert sugar (candy supply store)
15 drops inversase (candy supply store)
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2.5 cups powdered sugar (or more, for consistency)

And prepare dipping chocolate! (Real dark chocolate is, IMHO, the ONLY
chocolate to use!) It usually takes me about 2-3 lbs of chocolate to
dip 1.5 lbs of cherries. Chop chocolate finely, then melt chocolate
ever so slowly, and never too hot (30 sec bursts of 'defrost' in the
microwave, stirring in between, works nicely), to avoid breaking the
chocolate's "temper", else it may never set up as a solid, without a
LOT of refrigeration or retempering! (But that's all chocolatology,
yano?)

Wrap each drained cherry in enough of the candy dough to completely
cover the cherry, then dip in melted chocolate! Place on wax paper,
let cool. Use latex or nitrile exam gloves to handle, this works very
well.

Let the freshly dipped cherries set for 1 or 2 days. Over this time,
the inversase and invert sugar reaction causes the candy dough centers
to liquefy! (That's how they get that liquid in there, it's really
cool!!)

Eat! Be careful, they are drippy, and VERY delicious!!!!

Another hint: because the centers liquefy, it's important that the
chocolate coating be leak free, else the liquefied center candy will
leak out! This was particularly difficult for me to overcome, until my
engineering background told me that instead of picking up each freshly
dipped and cooled cherry to repair the leak at the bottom of almost
every cherry (the center is heavy, and pushes right through the melted
chocolate to the wax paper, yano?), if I placed each freshly dipped
cherry ON some solid chocolate, instead of wax paper, the bottom leaks
would be self-repairing! So last year, I made little thin smears of
dipping chocolate on the wax paper for each cherry to be dipped, let
them cool, then dipped each cherry and placed each one on the little
chocolate "platform" I had created! This worked outstandingly!!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 23:52:56 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>On 12/7/2013 3:18 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
>> I'm thinking about making some candy. Didn't we have a resident
>> candy-making expert here? What HAVE we done with him? I see some recipes
>> call for paraffin and some don't. Any one have a foolproof recipe for
>> chocolate covered cherries? I'll provide the fool. Polly
>>

>Chocolate cherries are *not* fool-proof, they are a PITA. Just buy a
>box of 'em -- not the $1 a box ones, spring for the good ones ($3 a box,
>lol)
>
>Truffles are easy. Chocolate chips + heavy cream + flavorings.
>
>Divinity is another good choice for having an assortment.
>
>Peanut brittle is easy.
>
>Here's my favorite fudge recipe. No sweetened condensed milk nor
>marshmallows, it's honest fudge:
>
>Old Fashioned Fudge
>(Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)
>
>2 cups sugar
>3/4 cup milk
>2 squares (2 oz.) unsweetened chocolate, cut up
>1 teaspoon light-colored corn syrup
>2 tablespoons butter or margarine
>1 teaspoon vanilla
>1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts
>
>Butter sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In it, combine suggar, milk,
>chocolate, corn syrup, and dash salt. Cook and stir over medium heat
>until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil. Continue cooking to
>234ºF (soft-ball stage), stirring only as needed to prevent sticking
>(mixture should boil gently over entire surface) Immediately remove from
>heat; add butter but do not stir. Cool, without stirring to lukewarm
>(110ºF), for 30 to 40 minutes. Add vanilla and nuts. Beat vigorously
>for 7 to 10 minutes or until fudge becomes very thick and loses its gloss.
>
>Quickly spread into a buttered 9x5" loaf pan. Score into squares while
>warm; cut when firm. Makes about 1 1/4 pounds.

He is an even more basic recipe.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate Fudge

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Candy

3 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/4 pound chocolate, unsweetened
1/4 pound butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Put water and chocolate into pan. Let it come to a boil, stirring
frequently to prevent burning.

When the mixture thickens, add sugar. Stir occasionally until the
mixture again comes to a boil. When it reaches the soft ball stage,
add vanilla.

Remove from heat. Drop in butter. When lukewarm, beat until it loses
its shine.

Spread in 8" square pan. When cool, cut into squares.

Source:
"Out of the Kitchen, Elkin Junior Womans Club"
Copyright:
"1949"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 08:10:47 -0500, The Cook >
wrote:
snip

> Chocolate Fudge
>
>Recipe By :
>Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
>Categories : Candy

>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
> 3 cups sugar
> 1 cup water
> 1/4 pound chocolate, unsweetened
> 1/4 pound butter
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
>
>Put water and chocolate into pan. Let it come to a boil, stirring
>frequently to prevent burning.
>
>When the mixture thickens, add sugar. Stir occasionally until the
>mixture again comes to a boil. When it reaches the soft ball stage,
>add vanilla.
>
>Remove from heat. Drop in butter. When lukewarm, beat until it loses
>its shine.
>
>Spread in 8" square pan. When cool, cut into squares.
>
>Source:
> "Out of the Kitchen, Elkin Junior Womans Club"
>Copyright:
> "1949"
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bear with me, I've never even tried (well, maybe once) making fudge
that you watch for stages. But, I thought that water made chocolate
seize? Not so?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 11:23:37 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 08:10:47 -0500, The Cook >
>wrote:
>snip
>

>> Chocolate Fudge
>>
>>Recipe By :
>>Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
>>Categories : Candy
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 3 cups sugar
>> 1 cup water
>> 1/4 pound chocolate, unsweetened
>> 1/4 pound butter
>> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
>>
>>Put water and chocolate into pan. Let it come to a boil, stirring
>>frequently to prevent burning.
>>
>>When the mixture thickens, add sugar. Stir occasionally until the
>>mixture again comes to a boil. When it reaches the soft ball stage,
>>add vanilla.
>>
>>Remove from heat. Drop in butter. When lukewarm, beat until it loses
>>its shine.
>>
>>Spread in 8" square pan. When cool, cut into squares.
>>
>>Source:
>> "Out of the Kitchen, Elkin Junior Womans Club"
>>Copyright:
>> "1949"
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

>Bear with me, I've never even tried (well, maybe once) making fudge
>that you watch for stages. But, I thought that water made chocolate
>seize? Not so?
>Janet US

Not the way this recipe works. I have used it since I was in my teens
(not long after the copyright date) especially when I could get
someone to help me beat it.

I haven't made it in a while since I did not need to eat it all. Maybe
I will try it again since I can take it to the place where I
volunteer. If it doesn't set I can have some syrup for ice cream.

My Thermopen booklet says that "soft ball" is 234° - 240° F.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 14:16:45 -0500, The Cook >
wrote:

>On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 11:23:37 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 08:10:47 -0500, The Cook >
>>wrote:
>>snip
>>

>>> Chocolate Fudge
>>>
>>>Recipe By :
>>>Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
>>>Categories : Candy
>>>
>>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>>>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
>>> 3 cups sugar
>>> 1 cup water
>>> 1/4 pound chocolate, unsweetened
>>> 1/4 pound butter
>>> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
>>>
>>>Put water and chocolate into pan. Let it come to a boil, stirring
>>>frequently to prevent burning.
>>>
>>>When the mixture thickens, add sugar. Stir occasionally until the
>>>mixture again comes to a boil. When it reaches the soft ball stage,
>>>add vanilla.
>>>
>>>Remove from heat. Drop in butter. When lukewarm, beat until it loses
>>>its shine.
>>>
>>>Spread in 8" square pan. When cool, cut into squares.
>>>
>>>Source:
>>> "Out of the Kitchen, Elkin Junior Womans Club"
>>>Copyright:
>>> "1949"
>>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

>>Bear with me, I've never even tried (well, maybe once) making fudge
>>that you watch for stages. But, I thought that water made chocolate
>>seize? Not so?
>>Janet US

>Not the way this recipe works. I have used it since I was in my teens
>(not long after the copyright date) especially when I could get
>someone to help me beat it.
>
>I haven't made it in a while since I did not need to eat it all. Maybe
>I will try it again since I can take it to the place where I
>volunteer. If it doesn't set I can have some syrup for ice cream.
>
>My Thermopen booklet says that "soft ball" is 234° - 240° F.

thanks
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 08:10:47 -0500, The Cook >
>Source:
> "Out of the Kitchen, Elkin Junior Womans Club"
>Copyright:
> "1949"

Copyright? COPYRIGHT??!!

You can't copyright a recipe! Nor patent it or register a trademark
for a recipe!!! The only intellectual property protection a recipe has
is if it's kepts a trade secret!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/7/2013 10:31 PM, Polly Esther wrote:

>> On 12/7/2013 4:18 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
>>> I'm thinking about making some candy. Didn't we have a resident
>>> candy-making expert here? What HAVE we done with him? I see some
>>> recipes call for paraffin and some don't. Any one have a foolproof
>>> recipe for chocolate covered cherries? I'll provide the fool. Polly

> Cheri nailed it. LOL. I don't want pretentious top secret stuff.

Cheri nailed what?! I didn't see a reply from Cheri.

> Don't want to sign up for flight school at the air base. Not a lot of
> tedious technique or impossible equipment and ingredients. You'd smile
> at one of the recipes I've found. It calls for 2 ounces of gum Arabic.
> Don't think I'll be trying that one. Polly

I posted my grandma's recipe for date-nut coconut candy. It doesn't
call for a hell of a lot. The recipe is certainly no secret. The
equipment: a pot, a stove, waxed paper and the ingredients. The
ingredients list is pretty darn short compared to some I've read.

Grandma didn't need a candy thermometer; I used one to determine the
correct temp for the candy. I first made that candy when I was 16. It
requires a little time, sure. Maybe 40 minutes all told for delicious
results. Oh, and when I (and the recipe) says "beat the ingredients",
it's done by hand. Not a mixer or a blender. Just a big spoon. So
again, no fancy equipment.

I'm not sure what/who you think you were replying to. You've snipped it
to only include your original request and some invisible reply from
Cheri. I have no idea what Cheri said about Christmas candy. Or flight
school. <puzzled>

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/08/2013 12:09 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 08:10:47 -0500, The Cook >
>> Source:
>> "Out of the Kitchen, Elkin Junior Womans Club"
>> Copyright:
>> "1949"

> Copyright? COPYRIGHT??!!
>
> You can't copyright a recipe! Nor patent it or register a trademark
> for a recipe!!! The only intellectual property protection a recipe has
> is if it's kepts a trade secret!
>
> John Kuthe...

According to the Copyright Office, you can copyright recipes, but not a
list of ingredients. Here's a direct quote:

----------------------------------

Copyright law does not protect recipes that are mere listings of
ingredients. Nor does it protect other mere listings of ingredients such
as those found in formulas, compounds, or prescriptions. Copyright
protection may, however, extend to substantial literary expression—a
description, explanation, or illustration, for example—that accompanies
a recipe or formula or to a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook.

Only original works of authorship are protected by copyright. “Original”
means that an author produced a work by his or her own intellectual
effort instead of copying it from an existing work.

---------------------------------

See for yourself at http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 11:27:25 -0800, Whirled Peas >
wrote:

>On 12/08/2013 12:09 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
>> On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 08:10:47 -0500, The Cook >
>> wrote:
>>> Source:
>>> "Out of the Kitchen, Elkin Junior Womans Club"
>>> Copyright:
>>> "1949"

>> Copyright? COPYRIGHT??!!
>>
>> You can't copyright a recipe! Nor patent it or register a trademark
>> for a recipe!!! The only intellectual property protection a recipe has
>> is if it's kepts a trade secret!
>>
>> John Kuthe...
>>

>According to the Copyright Office, you can copyright recipes, but not a
>list of ingredients. Here's a direct quote:
>
>----------------------------------
>
>Copyright law does not protect recipes that are mere listings of
>ingredients. Nor does it protect other mere listings of ingredients such
>as those found in formulas, compounds, or prescriptions. Copyright
>protection may, however, extend to substantial literary expression—a
>description, explanation, or illustration, for example—that accompanies
>a recipe or formula or to a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook.
>
>Only original works of authorship are protected by copyright. “Original”
>means that an author produced a work by his or her own intellectual
>effort instead of copying it from an existing work.
>
>---------------------------------
>
>See for yourself at http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html

That's what I meant. You cannot copyright a recipe/list of
ingredients.

Somebody made it way more complicated that what a recipe is.

John Kuthe...

I got all my Christmas Candy mailed out today!! John Kuthe[_3_] General Cooking 1 29-12-2015 04:56 AM
Boxing 2011 Christmas Candy John Kuthe[_3_] General Cooking 8 29-12-2011 03:42 AM
French Chocolate Christmas Candy International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 04-11-2008 02:47 AM
CHRISTMAS CANDY bizonthenet Chocolate 0 03-12-2004 02:29 AM
Christmas Candy Making JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms General Cooking 0 14-11-2004 07:10 PM