Posted to alt.food.diabetic
GysdeJongh[_2_] GysdeJongh[_2_] is offline

Default Basmati Rice

Julie Bove wrote:
> "GysdeJongh" <JonghSevenHundredElevenAtPlanet.nl> wrote in message
> .. .
>> W. Baker wrote:

>>> All this may be true, but why is it of interest todiabetics, who
>>> much control their carb intake, meaning only occasional or tiny
>>> amuntf os rice so why spend all this time and bandwidthon it in
>>> this group?

>> Imprisonment often improves metabolic control in prisoners with type
>> 2 diabetes; however, the reasons for this remain unclear. Here, we
>> investigated the metabolic control of male prisoners with type 2
>> diabetes in Japan. During imprisonment, mean fasting plasma glucose
>> and hemoglobin Alc (HbA1c) levels dramatically decreased from
>> 184+/-74 to 113+/-38mg/dl (p<0.001) and 8.4+/-2.1 to 5.9+/-1.2%
>> (p<0.001), respectively. In addition, 5 of 18 prisoners (28%)
>> treated with insulin and 17 of 34 (50%) treated with oral
>> hypoglycemic agents were able to discontinue their treatment and
>> maintain good metabolic control. Most prisoners in Japanese prisons
>> work 8h a day 5 days a week, consuming a high dietary fiber diet
>> including boiled rice with barley, "Mugimeshi". These findings
>> suggest that a well-regulated lifestyle and long-term intake of high
>> dietary fiber may have beneficial effects on metabolic control in
>> patients with type 2 diabetes. PMID: 17208326

> I read a book about some ballerinas in France in earlier times who
> were imprisoned. They said that the diet they got in the prison was
> far better than what they could get at the time on the outside. Their
> father had died and their mother was an alcoholic. They did
> get paid to be in the ballet and they also worked at a laundry. But
> pay for women in those days was very paltry. Meals were described on
> the outside as a small roll for breakfast if they were lucky, a piece
> of cheese for lunch and one in a while a chicken for dinner.
>
> In prison, they didn't get a lot of meat but they had beans almost
> daily. I can't remember now if there was rice but there were a lot
> of other vegetables and they said the portions were large.
>
> Here, at least from what I have seen on TV, some prisons have stuff
> like honey buns available at the commissary but one can only buy it
> if they have money in their account and if they don't have
> infractions that prevent them from buying. Such things are also
> traded among prisoners. But... The meals provided, which might not
> be the most appealing, are nutritionally complete and don't include
> sweets. So it is likely that the inmates are eating a better diet
> than they had before. OTOH, I have seen some pretty big female
> inmates on those shows who do love their honey buns.

I like to cook Basmati rice in a steam pan. Cook 5 min in the lower part
just under water. Then 5 min in the upper, sieve, part. Then add a tuna
steak and a tin of black beans in the same upper part on the rice and steam
for 6 min more.

My idea is move a lot and eat less of better food.
Worked for the last 5 years
Gys