Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default REC: Gingerbread

On 11/17/2013 11:49 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 11/17/2013 6:42 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> My mom's recipe from the 1960's. I haven't made this in years but it's
>> moist and delicious. The Honey-ginger Fluff is my later addition.
>> Self-defense against Cool Whip.
>>
>> Gingerbread (cake)
>>
>> 2-1/3 c. all-purpose flour
>> 1/3 c. sugar
>> 1 c. molasses
>> 3/4 c. *very* warm water
>> 1/2 c. vegetable shortening <gasp>
>> 1 egg
>> 1 tsp. baking soda
>> 1 tsp. ground ginger
>> 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
>> 3/4 tsp. salt
>>
>> Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease and flour a 9X9 baking pan. Beat all
>> ingredients together in a large bowl using a [hand-held] mixer on low
>> speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of the bowl constantly. Beat on
>> medium speed for 3 minutes. Pour batter into pan. Bake about 50
>> minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
>>
>> Honey-ginger Fluff Topping:
>>
>> Beat 2 c. chilled whipping cream, 1/4 c. honey and 1/2 tsp. ground
>> ginger in a chilled bowl until stiff. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving.
>>
>> Jill

> Thanks for the recipe. That's a heap of molasses!

Yeah, but I don't eat sweet stuff very often.

You could try topping
> it with this:
>
> http://www.dailycal.org/2013/10/16/c...e-new-nutella/
>
> :-)

Uh... no thanks. Frankly, I've most often eaten the gingerbread
without any topping. It's sweet enough as it is.

Nutella isn't something that ever interested me. I'm seeing more ads on
television for Nutella than ever. (Along the lines of: send your kids
off to school after a breakfast of Nutella on toast.) I'll probably
never buy it. Cookie butter? Doubtful. But hey, sweet your heart out!

Jill