Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Gingerbread

My mom's recipe from the 1960's. I haven't made this in years but it's
moist and delicious. The Honey-ginger Fluff is my later addition.
Self-defense against Cool Whip.

Gingerbread (cake)

2-1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c. sugar
1 c. molasses
3/4 c. *very* warm water
1/2 c. vegetable shortening <gasp>
1 egg
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease and flour a 9X9 baking pan. Beat all
ingredients together in a large bowl using a [hand-held] mixer on low
speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of the bowl constantly. Beat on
medium speed for 3 minutes. Pour batter into pan. Bake about 50
minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Honey-ginger Fluff Topping:

Beat 2 c. chilled whipping cream, 1/4 c. honey and 1/2 tsp. ground
ginger in a chilled bowl until stiff. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2013 6:42 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> My mom's recipe from the 1960's. I haven't made this in years but it's
> moist and delicious. The Honey-ginger Fluff is my later addition.
> Self-defense against Cool Whip.
>
> Gingerbread (cake)
>
> 2-1/3 c. all-purpose flour
> 1/3 c. sugar
> 1 c. molasses
> 3/4 c. *very* warm water
> 1/2 c. vegetable shortening <gasp>
> 1 egg
> 1 tsp. baking soda
> 1 tsp. ground ginger
> 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
> 3/4 tsp. salt
>
> Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease and flour a 9X9 baking pan. Beat all
> ingredients together in a large bowl using a [hand-held] mixer on low
> speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of the bowl constantly. Beat on
> medium speed for 3 minutes. Pour batter into pan. Bake about 50
> minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
>
> Honey-ginger Fluff Topping:
>
> Beat 2 c. chilled whipping cream, 1/4 c. honey and 1/2 tsp. ground
> ginger in a chilled bowl until stiff. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving.
>
> Jill

Thanks for the recipe. That's a heap of molasses! You could try topping
it with this:

http://www.dailycal.org/2013/10/16/c...e-new-nutella/

:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2013 11:49 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 11/17/2013 6:42 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> My mom's recipe from the 1960's. I haven't made this in years but it's
>> moist and delicious. The Honey-ginger Fluff is my later addition.
>> Self-defense against Cool Whip.
>>
>> Gingerbread (cake)
>>
>> 2-1/3 c. all-purpose flour
>> 1/3 c. sugar
>> 1 c. molasses
>> 3/4 c. *very* warm water
>> 1/2 c. vegetable shortening <gasp>
>> 1 egg
>> 1 tsp. baking soda
>> 1 tsp. ground ginger
>> 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
>> 3/4 tsp. salt
>>
>> Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease and flour a 9X9 baking pan. Beat all
>> ingredients together in a large bowl using a [hand-held] mixer on low
>> speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of the bowl constantly. Beat on
>> medium speed for 3 minutes. Pour batter into pan. Bake about 50
>> minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
>>
>> Honey-ginger Fluff Topping:
>>
>> Beat 2 c. chilled whipping cream, 1/4 c. honey and 1/2 tsp. ground
>> ginger in a chilled bowl until stiff. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving.
>>
>> Jill

> Thanks for the recipe. That's a heap of molasses!

Yeah, but I don't eat sweet stuff very often.

You could try topping
> it with this:
>
> http://www.dailycal.org/2013/10/16/c...e-new-nutella/
>
> :-)

Uh... no thanks. Frankly, I've most often eaten the gingerbread
without any topping. It's sweet enough as it is.

Nutella isn't something that ever interested me. I'm seeing more ads on
television for Nutella than ever. (Along the lines of: send your kids
off to school after a breakfast of Nutella on toast.) I'll probably
never buy it. Cookie butter? Doubtful. But hey, sweet your heart out!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:42:13 AM UTC-9, jmcquown wrote:

> My mom's recipe from the 1960's. I haven't made this in years but it's
>
> moist and delicious. The Honey-ginger Fluff is my later addition.
>
> Self-defense against Cool Whip.
>

> Gingerbread (cake)
>

> 2-1/3 c. all-purpose flour
>
> 1/3 c. sugar
>
> 1 c. molasses
>
> 3/4 c. *very* warm water
>
> 1/2 c. vegetable shortening <gasp>
>
> 1 egg
>
> 1 tsp. baking soda
>
> 1 tsp. ground ginger
>
> 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
>
> 3/4 tsp. salt
>

> Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease and flour a 9X9 baking pan. Beat all
>
> ingredients together in a large bowl using a [hand-held] mixer on low
>
> speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of the bowl constantly. Beat on
>
> medium speed for 3 minutes. Pour batter into pan. Bake about 50
>
> minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
>

> Honey-ginger Fluff Topping:
>

> Beat 2 c. chilled whipping cream, 1/4 c. honey and 1/2 tsp. ground
>
> ginger in a chilled bowl until stiff. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving.
>

> Jill

That IS a lot of molasses, but no doubt very good. I like real whipped cream on mine and never would put Cool Whip on something like that, but actually prefer lemon sauce. Here is the recipe I often use. It gives microwave cooking directions too, but I've always baked it in the oven, so have no idea how it would turn out being "baked" in a microwave?

Gingerbread W/Lemon Sauce

2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
(can use all white flour, but I don't)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 cup shortening (can use butter)
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg, slightly beaten

Grease bottom of 8 or 9 inch square pan. In large
bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Add remaining
ingredients and blend well. Pour batter into
prepared pan. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes, or
until tests done. Serve warm with lemon sauce, or
whipped cream.

Directions say you can pour batter into a 8 inch
round microwave dish. Cook on high for 6 to 7-1/2
minutes, or till toothpick comes out clean.

Lemon Sauce:
1/2 cup sugar
Dash salt
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 cup hot water
2 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. grated lemon rind
2 tbsp. butter

Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt
in medium saucepan; blend in hot water.
Cook over medium heat until mixture boils
and is clear and thickened, stirring
constantly. Stir in lemon juice and rind
and butter. Serve warm or cold over gingerbread.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 11:42:13 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> My mom's recipe from the 1960's.

Looks like gingerbread recipe sharing time! I've made just the
gingerbread part of Wayne Boatwright's gingerbread cake and it's to
die for... moist and delicious. http://oi44.tinypic.com/awqe11.jpg

Gingerbread Pear Upside Down Cake
posted by: Wayne Boatwright rec.food.cooking 10-09

Rich Spicy Gingerbread

Serves: 8

½ cup Unsalted Butter -- Melted
½ cup Granulated Sugar
1 cup Unsulphured Molasses
1 Egg
2 cups All-purpose Flour
½ tsp Salt
2 tsps Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 Tbl Ground Ginger
2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
½ tsp Ground Cloves
1 cup Boiling Water
1 tsp Grated Orange Zest -- Optional (I used it)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine dry ingredients, except sugar, in medium bowl and blend well
with whisk. Set aside.

In mixer bowl, combine melted butter, sugar and molasses. Beat on low
speed until well combined.

Add egg to mixture and beat on low speed until mixture is smooth.

Add dry ingredients to mixer bowl alternatively with boiling water,
mixing until just combined.

Bake in deep 9-inch cake pan or iron skillet (I used a springform pan)
35-45 minutes, or until firm to touch and toothpick inserted in middle
of cake comes out clean. Allow to cool 5 minutes before turning out
on serving plate.

- I dusted it with powdered sugar just before serving and served it
with a dollop of whipped cream.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:42:13 AM UTC-10, jmcquown wrote:
> My mom's recipe from the 1960's. I haven't made this in years but it's
>
> moist and delicious. The Honey-ginger Fluff is my later addition.
>
> Self-defense against Cool Whip.
>

> Gingerbread (cake)
>

> 2-1/3 c. all-purpose flour
>
> 1/3 c. sugar
>
> 1 c. molasses
>
> 3/4 c. *very* warm water
>
> 1/2 c. vegetable shortening <gasp>
>
> 1 egg
>
> 1 tsp. baking soda
>
> 1 tsp. ground ginger
>
> 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
>
> 3/4 tsp. salt
>

> Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease and flour a 9X9 baking pan. Beat all
>
> ingredients together in a large bowl using a [hand-held] mixer on low
>
> speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of the bowl constantly. Beat on
>
> medium speed for 3 minutes. Pour batter into pan. Bake about 50
>
> minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
>

> Honey-ginger Fluff Topping:
>

> Beat 2 c. chilled whipping cream, 1/4 c. honey and 1/2 tsp. ground
>
> ginger in a chilled bowl until stiff. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving.
>

> Jill

I made this gingerbread with some modification. I used a little more than a cup of molasses and twice the amount of ginger and cinnamon along with 3/4 tsp of cloves. I also used butter instead of oil. Next time I'll try oil. I should have used a bigger pan because the batter overflowed the pan. No matter, the cake came out fine and tasty. I don't care much for molasses but the spices cut that bitterness down. Thanks for the inspiration and the recipe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2013 11:23 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:42:13 AM UTC-10, jmcquown wrote:
>> My mom's recipe from the 1960's. I haven't made this in years but it's
>> moist and delicious. The Honey-ginger Fluff is my later addition.
>>
>> Self-defense against Cool Whip.
>>
>> Gingerbread (cake)
>>
>> 2-1/3 c. all-purpose flour
>> 1/3 c. sugar
>> 1 c. molasses
>> 3/4 c. *very* warm water
>> 1/2 c. vegetable shortening <gasp>
>> 1 egg
>> 1 tsp. baking soda
>> 1 tsp. ground ginger
>> 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
>> 3/4 tsp. salt
>>
>> Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease and flour a 9X9 baking pan. Beat all
>> ingredients together in a large bowl using a [hand-held] mixer on low
>> speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of the bowl constantly. Beat on
>> medium speed for 3 minutes. Pour batter into pan. Bake about 50
>> minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
>>
>> Honey-ginger Fluff Topping:
>>
>> Beat 2 c. chilled whipping cream, 1/4 c. honey and 1/2 tsp. ground
>> ginger in a chilled bowl until stiff. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving.
>>
>> Jill

> I made this gingerbread with some modification. I used a little more
> than a cup of molasses and twice the amount of ginger and cinnamon along
> with 3/4 tsp of cloves. I also used butter instead of oil. Next time I'll
> try oil. I should have used a bigger pan because the batter overflowed the pan.
> No matter, the cake came out fine and tasty. I don't care much for molasses
> but the spices cut that bitterness down. Thanks for the inspiration and the recipe.

You're quite welcome. But at what point did I mention oil? Anyway,
recipes are merely guidelines. I think the addition of ground cloves
would be tasty.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 17, 2013 8:08:25 PM UTC-10, jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/17/2013 11:23 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:42:13 AM UTC-10, jmcquown wrote:

> >> My mom's recipe from the 1960's. I haven't made this in years but it's

> >> moist and delicious. The Honey-ginger Fluff is my later addition.

> >> Self-defense against Cool Whip.

> >> Gingerbread (cake)

> >> 2-1/3 c. all-purpose flour

> >> 1/3 c. sugar

> >> 1 c. molasses

> >> 3/4 c. *very* warm water

> >> 1/2 c. vegetable shortening <gasp>

> >> 1 egg

> >> 1 tsp. baking soda

> >> 1 tsp. ground ginger

> >> 1 tsp. ground cinnamon

> >> 3/4 tsp. salt

> >> Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease and flour a 9X9 baking pan. Beat all

> >> ingredients together in a large bowl using a [hand-held] mixer on low

> >> speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of the bowl constantly. Beat on

> >> medium speed for 3 minutes. Pour batter into pan. Bake about 50

> >> minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

> >> Honey-ginger Fluff Topping:

> >> Beat 2 c. chilled whipping cream, 1/4 c. honey and 1/2 tsp. ground

> >> ginger in a chilled bowl until stiff. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving.

> >> Jill

> > I made this gingerbread with some modification. I used a little more

> > than a cup of molasses and twice the amount of ginger and cinnamon along

> > with 3/4 tsp of cloves. I also used butter instead of oil. Next time I'll

> > try oil. I should have used a bigger pan because the batter overflowed the pan.

> > No matter, the cake came out fine and tasty. I don't care much for molasses

> > but the spices cut that bitterness down. Thanks for the inspiration and the recipe.

> You're quite welcome. But at what point did I mention oil? Anyway,
>
> recipes are merely guidelines. I think the addition of ground cloves
>
> would be tasty.
>

> Jill

You said vegetable shortening - I misread it as vegetable oil. Oops. Well, I didn't use either one. I had a 12 oz bottle of molasses so I figured that all I had to do is pour 2/3 of the bottle. Oops, I poured in most of the bottle - damn! It didn't seem of hurt it any. It's kind of a special cake, ain't it? Thanks!

Gingerbread jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 1 07-10-2010 12:59 PM
Gingerbread Travis and Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 21-07-2006 11:39 PM
Gingerbread Men Duckie ® Recipes 0 05-12-2005 09:46 PM
Gingerbread Men Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 17-11-2004 03:34 PM