Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default French Toast Casserole

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 23:00:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 15:37:10 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > I've had something similar bookmarked for quite a while. Not sure
>> > when I'll make it though. Might get a chance to do it during the
>> > holidays when all the family is over.

>> I've made countless things with leftover bread but this is one that
>> they'll
>> eat.

> We got out of the bread pudding habit when DIL was doing her year long
> elimination diet, trying to figure out if she was allergic to wheat.
> It turned out (after a blood test) that it wasn't wheat, it was
> yeast... she isn't horribly allergic, but she does get arthritic type
> symptoms that are very uncomfortable - she limits yeasted products and
> picks her battles now. She never says no to my pizza, so that's quite
> a compliment.

I made one bread pudding that I actually liked. It might have been from
Meta Givens or the other book that I had of that era...American Family? It
was very fussy in that the bread had to have the crusts removed, was cut in
certain sized pieces, toasted and arranged in a specific way in the dish. I
served it with vanilla sauce. This was before Angela was born. I liked it
but husband did not. I didn't like it enough to make it again. And these
days I rarely make any sweets aside from the vegan fudge. Generally if I do
make them it is because I have something that I need to use up.

I kept trying the stratas. Angela did like these when she was little. And
I tried the breakfast casserole. I think the problem here is that the bread
that we normally eat (honey whole wheat) has such a sweet taste to it and
coarse, crunchy texture when toasted that it is best for toast and toasted
sandwiches. I don't even like it on cold sandwiches. It just doesn't seem
to lend itself to other things. But it does seem to work in the French
Toast casserole.

My mom can't eat tomatoes. It's not an allergy but causes her arthritis to
flare.