Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default French Toast Casserole

I'm going to make this now:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sugar-f...le/detail.aspx

House will smell nice when the Trick Or Treaters come but I'm afraid we
might not get many. Looks like rain out there.

I bought two loaves of bread which I don't usually do but I thought I would
use one for sandwiches. Then I didn't use it. So... Casserole it is I
add a little maple flavoring to mine and I use whole wheat bread. It's a
favorite in this house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 15:37:10 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I'm going to make this now:
>
> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sugar-f...le/detail.aspx

I've had something similar bookmarked for quite a while. Not sure
when I'll make it though. Might get a chance to do it during the
holidays when all the family is over.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 15:37:10 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I'm going to make this now:
>>
>> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sugar-f...le/detail.aspx

> I've had something similar bookmarked for quite a while. Not sure
> when I'll make it though. Might get a chance to do it during the
> holidays when all the family is over.

I've made countless things with leftover bread but this is one that they'll
eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 23:00:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 15:37:10 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I'm going to make this now:
> >>
> >> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sugar-f...le/detail.aspx

> > I've had something similar bookmarked for quite a while. Not sure
> > when I'll make it though. Might get a chance to do it during the
> > holidays when all the family is over.

> I've made countless things with leftover bread but this is one that they'll
> eat.

We got out of the bread pudding habit when DIL was doing her year long
elimination diet, trying to figure out if she was allergic to wheat.
It turned out (after a blood test) that it wasn't wheat, it was
yeast... she isn't horribly allergic, but she does get arthritic type
symptoms that are very uncomfortable - she limits yeasted products and
picks her battles now. She never says no to my pizza, so that's quite
a compliment.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 23:00:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 15:37:10 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I'm going to make this now:
>>>
>>> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sugar-f...le/detail.aspx

>> I've had something similar bookmarked for quite a while. Not sure
>> when I'll make it though. Might get a chance to do it during the
>> holidays when all the family is over.

>I've made countless things with leftover bread but this is one that they'll
>eat.

Nothing french toast about it, that's a basic bread pudding... very
common navy chow... I've made it countless times and many versions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 23:00:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 15:37:10 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > I've had something similar bookmarked for quite a while. Not sure
>> > when I'll make it though. Might get a chance to do it during the
>> > holidays when all the family is over.

>> I've made countless things with leftover bread but this is one that
>> they'll
>> eat.

> We got out of the bread pudding habit when DIL was doing her year long
> elimination diet, trying to figure out if she was allergic to wheat.
> It turned out (after a blood test) that it wasn't wheat, it was
> yeast... she isn't horribly allergic, but she does get arthritic type
> symptoms that are very uncomfortable - she limits yeasted products and
> picks her battles now. She never says no to my pizza, so that's quite
> a compliment.

I made one bread pudding that I actually liked. It might have been from
Meta Givens or the other book that I had of that era...American Family? It
was very fussy in that the bread had to have the crusts removed, was cut in
certain sized pieces, toasted and arranged in a specific way in the dish. I
served it with vanilla sauce. This was before Angela was born. I liked it
but husband did not. I didn't like it enough to make it again. And these
days I rarely make any sweets aside from the vegan fudge. Generally if I do
make them it is because I have something that I need to use up.

I kept trying the stratas. Angela did like these when she was little. And
I tried the breakfast casserole. I think the problem here is that the bread
that we normally eat (honey whole wheat) has such a sweet taste to it and
coarse, crunchy texture when toasted that it is best for toast and toasted
sandwiches. I don't even like it on cold sandwiches. It just doesn't seem
to lend itself to other things. But it does seem to work in the French
Toast casserole.

My mom can't eat tomatoes. It's not an allergy but causes her arthritis to
flare.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 23:00:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"sf" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 15:37:10 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> I've had something similar bookmarked for quite a while. Not sure
>>> when I'll make it though. Might get a chance to do it during the
>>> holidays when all the family is over.

>>I've made countless things with leftover bread but this is one that
>>they'll
>>eat.

> Nothing french toast about it, that's a basic bread pudding... very
> common navy chow... I've made it countless times and many versions.

Hmmm... The bread pudding I made was much thicker. And when I've used a
bread pudding recipe, they didn't like it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MotoFox" > wrote in message
> Quoth Julie Bove~
>
>> I'm going to make this now:
>>
>> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sugar-f...le/detail.aspx

> Hmmm, I'll have to try that sometime. Looks good.
>
> Only I'd substitute the appropriate amount of sugar for the yucky
> sucralose (bletch), add a decent amount of raisins and serve it for
> dessert over vanilla ice cream.

We try to eat low sugar here, hence the Splenda. And nobody likes raisins.
I have not bought ice cream in a long while. I don't like it myself but it
seems that the other two were addicted to it. Literally. If I bought it,
it was gone in an instant. Daughter asked me not to buy it. If we don't
have it, she won't eat it. I think husband discovered the same thing. He
has not asked for it for a long time. Daughter did ask for a very small
single serve container a few months ago. She had a sore throat. I did buy
that and bought one for her dad. But that's it. They don't even get it now
in a restaurant, even if it is free.

>> House will smell nice when the trick-or-treaters come but I'm afraid we
>> might not get many. Looks like rain out there.

> So, how was your turnout?

I didn't count and we missed two big groups because husband just sat there
and didn't answer the door. By the time I got there, they were gone. I did
do the math and based on what remained, I'd say that we got about 65 kids.
The Sour Patch Kids went first. *Note to self, buy two boxes next year*.
Then the Skittles. Not too many of the Twizzlers went. The year that I had
the long ones, they were well liked. But I bought the Nibs this time. Full
sized packages. I got them at Winco and that is the only form that they
sell. Won't get those again either. And nobody took the Snyder's pretzels.
*sigh*

> I only had a pathetic 28 drop-ins last night, a far cry from the 75-80+
> I'd easily get within an hour down at the apartment complex. (Guess I'd
> forgotten how much housing-area Hallowe'ens suck!) Weather down here at
> 2030 PDT (closing time) was partly cloudy and dry, ~58 degrees. Some fog
> over the fields.

I don't know where these kids came from. I only answered the door about 7
times and they all were Latino. I only know of one Latino family near us.
Their daughter is a year younger than mine and she did not come. Lots of
very little kids. No little kids that I know of that live near us. We did
get one bunch that we know. The girl is two years younger than my daughter.
They used to be friends but grew apart as they aged. She has two younger
brothers. But... Daughter is 15 now and not too many kids of that age go
out. Some do but this year we didn't see many older ones at all and no
adults. I bought the pretzels for the adults because in the past we got
what appeared to be homeless people just looking for food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 1, 2013 3:51:32 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

<some snippage>

> > So, how was your turnout?

> I didn't count and we missed two big groups because husband just sat there
>
> and didn't answer the door. By the time I got there, they were gone. I did
>
> do the math and based on what remained, I'd say that we got about 65 kids.
>
> The Sour Patch Kids went first. *Note to self, buy two boxes next year*.
>
> Then the Skittles. Not too many of the Twizzlers went. The year that I had
>
> the long ones, they were well liked. But I bought the Nibs this time. Full
>
> sized packages. I got them at Winco and that is the only form that they
>
> sell. Won't get those again either. And nobody took the Snyder's pretzels.
>
> *sigh*
>

> > I only had a pathetic 28 drop-ins last night, a far cry from the 75-80+

> > I'd easily get within an hour down at the apartment complex. (Guess I'd

> > forgotten how much housing-area Hallowe'ens suck!) Weather down here at

> > 2030 PDT (closing time) was partly cloudy and dry, ~58 degrees. Some fog

> > over the fields.

> I don't know where these kids came from. I only answered the door about 7
>
> times and they all were Latino. I only know of one Latino family near us.
>
> Their daughter is a year younger than mine and she did not come. Lots of
>
> very little kids. No little kids that I know of that live near us. We did
>
> get one bunch that we know. The girl is two years younger than my daughter.
>
> They used to be friends but grew apart as they aged. She has two younger
>
> brothers. But... Daughter is 15 now and not too many kids of that age go
>
> out. Some do but this year we didn't see many older ones at all and no
>
> adults. I bought the pretzels for the adults because in the past we got
>
> what appeared to be homeless people just looking for food.

You let these kids/people "help themselves" and get a choice of what
they take? I would NEVER do that...they get what I want to give them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MotoFox" > wrote in message
> Quoth Julie Bove~
>
>> Hmmm... The bread pudding I made was much thicker. And when I've used a
>> bread pudding recipe, they didn't like it.

> My Dad tried making some kind of "peanut-butter-and-jelly" bread pudding
> recipe a few years ago that he found in the Columbian. I love *normal*
> bread pudding, but to call this stuff disgusting would be a major
> understatement, since its flavour and texture were strongly reminiscent of
> a soggy PB/J sandwich that'd been sitting in the office refrigerator for
> at least a week. Oh yeah, he also made it with whole-wheat bread, just to
> add a little bit of insult to injury (I *hate* whole-wheat bread. There is
> NOTHING anybody can do to the stuff to make it edible!)
>
> Needless to say, the stuff sat in the refrigerator for about a week and a
> half before it met its fate in the sink grinder.

I used whole wheat bread in this. I don't normally like whole wheat either
but I do like this kind. I only like it toasted though. Some lady gave a
review of this recipe. Said that she added cream cheese to it but then
didn't like it. I was like... Uh... Duh!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MotoFox" > wrote in message
> Quoth Julie Bove~
>
>> I didn't count and we missed two big groups because husband just sat
>> there
>> and didn't answer the door. By the time I got there, they were gone. I
>> did do the math and based on what remained, I'd say that we got about 65
>> kids. The Sour Patch Kids went first, then the Skittles. Not too many
>> of the Twizzlers went. The year that I had the long ones, they were
>> well liked. But I bought the Nibs this time. Full sized packages. I
>> got them at Winco and that is the only form that they sell. Won't get
>> those again, either. And nobody took the Snyder's pretzels. *sigh*

> I bought two of the big 140-count bags of the Twizzlers/Whoppers/Jolly
> Rancher mix for something like $8 at Walgreen's and I only have maybe 30
> pieces left over. (I also bought a bag of the Reese's/Hershey Bar/Milk
> Duds/Kitkat mix to keep in the house, for medicinal purposes.) Eventually,
> as the night wore on, I just started doling them out by the handful,
> just to get rid of them (and I have fairly big hands.)
>
> Still, at ~65, it sounds like you guys did pretty well compared to here.
>
>> I don't know where these kids came from. I only answered the door about 7
>> times and they all were Latino. I only know of one Latino family near us.
>> Their daughter is a year younger than mine and she did not come. Lots of
>> very little kids. No little kids that I know of that live near us.

> Just offhand I'd bet it might have been a relative/church group etc.
> get-together. Back at the complex about two years ago, there was a sizable
> Hispanic/Latin@ family living in the next building over from mine, and
> their troop included about 30-35 kids of varying ages (long story short,
> their church group had a Hallowe'en get-together and they ended up drawing
> the short straw. Good thing they had one of the bigger ground-level flats
> due to all the people that showed up.)

That could be. There is a Catholic church near here. And I have seen/heard
people call other people on their cell phones and give them our address.
Heh!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Friday, November 1, 2013 3:51:32 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> <some snippage>
>>
>> > So, how was your turnout?

>> I didn't count and we missed two big groups because husband just sat
>> there
>>
>> and didn't answer the door. By the time I got there, they were gone. I
>> did
>>
>> do the math and based on what remained, I'd say that we got about 65
>> kids.
>>
>> The Sour Patch Kids went first. *Note to self, buy two boxes next year*.
>>
>> Then the Skittles. Not too many of the Twizzlers went. The year that I
>> had
>>
>> the long ones, they were well liked. But I bought the Nibs this time.
>> Full
>>
>> sized packages. I got them at Winco and that is the only form that they
>>
>> sell. Won't get those again either. And nobody took the Snyder's
>> pretzels.
>>
>> *sigh*
>>

>> > I only had a pathetic 28 drop-ins last night, a far cry from the 75-80+

>> > I'd easily get within an hour down at the apartment complex. (Guess I'd

>> > forgotten how much housing-area Hallowe'ens suck!) Weather down here at

>> > 2030 PDT (closing time) was partly cloudy and dry, ~58 degrees. Some
>> > fog

>> > over the fields.

>> I don't know where these kids came from. I only answered the door about
>> 7
>>
>> times and they all were Latino. I only know of one Latino family near
>> us.
>>
>> Their daughter is a year younger than mine and she did not come. Lots of
>>
>> very little kids. No little kids that I know of that live near us. We
>> did
>>
>> get one bunch that we know. The girl is two years younger than my
>> daughter.
>>
>> They used to be friends but grew apart as they aged. She has two younger
>>
>> brothers. But... Daughter is 15 now and not too many kids of that age
>> go
>>
>> out. Some do but this year we didn't see many older ones at all and no
>>
>> adults. I bought the pretzels for the adults because in the past we got
>>
>> what appeared to be homeless people just looking for food.

> You let these kids/people "help themselves" and get a choice of what
> they take? I would NEVER do that...they get what I want to give them.

Sure I do! Why wouldn't I? The only person who took more than one thing is
a boy that we know. He's autistic so we cut him some slack. Most years
anyone that comes around 10:00 gets a big handful of whatever we have left.
But this year they stopped coming at 9:00.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Halloween: (was French Toast Casserole)

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I'm going to make this now:
>>
>> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sugar-f...le/detail.aspx
>>
>> House will smell nice when the Trick Or Treaters come but I'm afraid we
>> might not get many. Looks like rain out there.

> I went out to one house for trick or treating. Thought I might get
> some good candy snacks. I carried Mia with me. So I knocked on the
> door. The lady answered it and I said, "Trick or Treat!" She looked at
> me and said, "Aren't you a little old for this and where is your
> costume?"
>
> I replied, "I'm a 5 year old ferret dressed up as human Gary, my owner
> and dad." Then I held up Mia and said, "This is Gary, he's wearing a
> ferret costume and he looks just like me!"
>
> No candy. She just slammed the door in our faces. On the way home, Mia
> said, "I tried to tell you this wouldn't work."
>
> G.

Aw...

Anyone who comes to my house gets treats!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I'm going to make this now:
>>
>> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sugar-f...le/detail.aspx
>>
>> House will smell nice when the Trick Or Treaters come but I'm afraid we
>> might not get many. Looks like rain out there.

> I went out to one house for trick or treating. Thought I might get
> some good candy snacks. I carried Mia with me. So I knocked on the
> door. The lady answered it and I said, "Trick or Treat!" She looked at
> me and said, "Aren't you a little old for this and where is your
> costume?"
>
> I replied, "I'm a 5 year old ferret dressed up as human Gary, my owner
> and dad." Then I held up Mia and said, "This is Gary, he's wearing a
> ferret costume and he looks just like me!"
>
> No candy. She just slammed the door in our faces. On the way home, Mia
> said, "I tried to tell you this wouldn't work."

lol
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I'm going to make this now:
>
> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sugar-f...le/detail.aspx
>
> House will smell nice when the Trick Or Treaters come but I'm afraid we
> might not get many. Looks like rain out there.

I went out to one house for trick or treating. Thought I might get
some good candy snacks. I carried Mia with me. So I knocked on the
door. The lady answered it and I said, "Trick or Treat!" She looked at
me and said, "Aren't you a little old for this and where is your
costume?"

I replied, "I'm a 5 year old ferret dressed up as human Gary, my owner
and dad." Then I held up Mia and said, "This is Gary, he's wearing a
ferret costume and he looks just like me!"

No candy. She just slammed the door in our faces. On the way home, Mia
said, "I tried to tell you this wouldn't work."

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 07:12:54 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I'm going to make this now:
>>
>> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sugar-f...le/detail.aspx
>>
>> House will smell nice when the Trick Or Treaters come but I'm afraid we
>> might not get many. Looks like rain out there.

>I went out to one house for trick or treating. Thought I might get
>some good candy snacks. I carried Mia with me. So I knocked on the
>door. The lady answered it and I said, "Trick or Treat!" She looked at
>me and said, "Aren't you a little old for this and where is your
>costume?"
>
>I replied, "I'm a 5 year old ferret dressed up as human Gary, my owner
>and dad." Then I held up Mia and said, "This is Gary, he's wearing a
>ferret costume and he looks just like me!"
>
>No candy. She just slammed the door in our faces. On the way home, Mia
>said, "I tried to tell you this wouldn't work."

Consider yourself lucky you weren't fried! hehe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 07:12:54 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Julie Bove wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm going to make this now:
> >>
> >> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sugar-f...le/detail.aspx
> >>
> >> House will smell nice when the Trick Or Treaters come but I'm afraid we
> >> might not get many. Looks like rain out there.

> >I went out to one house for trick or treating. Thought I might get
> >some good candy snacks. I carried Mia with me. So I knocked on the
> >door. The lady answered it and I said, "Trick or Treat!" She looked at
> >me and said, "Aren't you a little old for this and where is your
> >costume?"
> >
> >I replied, "I'm a 5 year old ferret dressed up as human Gary, my owner
> >and dad." Then I held up Mia and said, "This is Gary, he's wearing a
> >ferret costume and he looks just like me!"
> >
> >No candy. She just slammed the door in our faces. On the way home, Mia
> >said, "I tried to tell you this wouldn't work."

> Consider yourself lucky you weren't fried! hehe

LOL! You buttmunch!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 10:12:44 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> >I went out to one house for trick or treating. Thought I might get
>> >some good candy snacks. I carried Mia with me. So I knocked on the
>> >door. The lady answered it and I said, "Trick or Treat!" She looked at
>> >me and said, "Aren't you a little old for this and where is your
>> >costume?"
>> >
>> >I replied, "I'm a 5 year old ferret dressed up as human Gary, my owner
>> >and dad." Then I held up Mia and said, "This is Gary, he's wearing a
>> >ferret costume and he looks just like me!"
>> >
>> >No candy. She just slammed the door in our faces. On the way home, Mia
>> >said, "I tried to tell you this wouldn't work."

>> Consider yourself lucky you weren't fried! hehe

>LOL! You buttmunch!

Don't ever order the blue plate special at Jill's clubhouse, you'll
get Squirrel Fricassee a la Buttmunch on a Kaiser Roll! LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 13:43:41 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:
snip

>Don't ever order the blue plate special at Jill's clubhouse, you'll
>get Squirrel Fricassee a la Buttmunch on a Kaiser Roll! LOL

Never had buttmuch but squirrel is good.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 1, 2013 1:49:24 PM UTC-5, MotoFox wrote:

> Hmmm, I'll have to try that sometime. Looks good.
>

> Only I'd substitute the appropriate amount of sugar for the yucky sucralose
> (bletch)

Sucralose is great, but only idiots bake with cups of the granular, which
is full of carbs. I buy only pure sucralose.

http://www.hardrhino.com/products/su...han-sugar.html

I guess some folks would rather be fat, or diabetic, or both.

--Bryan sex+ O|O

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

> On Friday, November 1, 2013 1:49:24 PM UTC-5, MotoFox wrote:
> >

> > Hmmm, I'll have to try that sometime. Looks good.
> >

> > Only I'd substitute the appropriate amount of sugar for the yucky sucralose
> > (bletch)

> Sucralose is great, but only idiots bake with cups of the granular, which
> is full of carbs. I buy only pure sucralose.

You started your soup with a can of Swanson watered down chicken ****
broth. You have no right to critisize other's preference of
ingredients for anything. Go back to your book and your sexual
fantasies and try to keep all that to yourself from now on.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" < speaking to Bryan

> You started your soup with a can of Swanson watered down chicken ****
> broth. You have no right to critisize other's preference of
> ingredients for anything. Go back to your book and your sexual
> fantasies and try to keep all that to yourself from now on.
>
> G.

LOL, gotta laugh at that myself.

Cheri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, November 1, 2013 1:49:24 PM UTC-5, MotoFox wrote:
>> >

>> > Hmmm, I'll have to try that sometime. Looks good.
>> >

>> > Only I'd substitute the appropriate amount of sugar for the yucky
>> > sucralose
>> > (bletch)

>> Sucralose is great, but only idiots bake with cups of the granular, which
>> is full of carbs. I buy only pure sucralose.

> You started your soup with a can of Swanson watered down chicken ****
> broth. You have no right to critisize other's preference of
> ingredients for anything. Go back to your book and your sexual
> fantasies and try to keep all that to yourself from now on.

Yeah. The broth came to mind when he said that. This recipe needs the
granular at least on top. It does leave a crunchy texture. If you just put
liquid in there it would get soggy.

Member

This dish is awesome and thanks to all after your discussion i get many knowledge about food

Last edited by edwardfranklin : 04-11-2013 at 01:03 PM