Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Question

In article >,
songbird > wrote:

> bigwheel wrote:
> > The Cook Wrote:

> >> for those who remember bottled Certo. Is the current package of two
> >> pouches equal to the old bottle. I am thinking that it is but just
> >> want a confirmation.

> > Kindly give us a hint as to what is Certo? and why we need to be
> > interested about it? Thanks. Is it kin to Vegemite by any chance? If so
> > yes..its unhealthy.

> Certo is pectin, but i'm not familiar with
> bottled pectin of any kind.
>
> the ancient recipe i had for freezer jam
> called for one 6floz pouch of liquid pectin,
> but these days the pouches are 3floz (or they
> were when i purchased them this past early
> summer). as to what games they might be
> playing with amounts in recent times with
> respect to jars i'm at a loss.

> songbird

Glass is more expensive for packaging, heavier to ship, and more likely
to break, bird. The Certo bottles had a half-bottle mark embossed in
the glass for those recipes that only required half a bottle (equivalent
to one of today's foil packets).

And where I am, I have never seen Certo powder! I think our Canadian
friends see it.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.