Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Question

for those who remember bottled Certo. Is the current package of two
pouches equal to the old bottle. I am thinking that it is but just
want a confirmation.
--
Susan N.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
for those who remember bottled Certo. Is the current package of two
pouches equal to the old bottle. I am thinking that it is but just
want a confirmation.
--
Susan N.

Kindly give us a hint as to what is Certo? and why we need to be interested about it? Thanks. Is it kin to Vegemite by any chance? If so yes..its unhealthy.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

bigwheel wrote:
> The Cook Wrote:

>> for those who remember bottled Certo. Is the current package of two
>> pouches equal to the old bottle. I am thinking that it is but just
>> want a confirmation.

> Kindly give us a hint as to what is Certo? and why we need to be
> interested about it? Thanks. Is it kin to Vegemite by any chance? If so
> yes..its unhealthy.

Certo is pectin, but i'm not familiar with
bottled pectin of any kind.

the ancient recipe i had for freezer jam
called for one 6floz pouch of liquid pectin,
but these days the pouches are 3floz (or they
were when i purchased them this past early
summer). as to what games they might be
playing with amounts in recent times with
respect to jars i'm at a loss.

after googling i've come up with enough
definitive answers that 6floz it was. so
two 3floz pouches will do.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> for those who remember bottled Certo. Is the current package of two
> pouches equal to the old bottle. I am thinking that it is but just
> want a confirmation.

Hmmm. I thought it was but I'm looking at an intact bottle and the
label says 8 fl oz net.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
songbird > wrote:

> bigwheel wrote:
> > The Cook Wrote:

> >> for those who remember bottled Certo. Is the current package of two
> >> pouches equal to the old bottle. I am thinking that it is but just
> >> want a confirmation.

> > Kindly give us a hint as to what is Certo? and why we need to be
> > interested about it? Thanks. Is it kin to Vegemite by any chance? If so
> > yes..its unhealthy.

> Certo is pectin, but i'm not familiar with
> bottled pectin of any kind.
>
> the ancient recipe i had for freezer jam
> called for one 6floz pouch of liquid pectin,
> but these days the pouches are 3floz (or they
> were when i purchased them this past early
> summer). as to what games they might be
> playing with amounts in recent times with
> respect to jars i'm at a loss.

> songbird

Glass is more expensive for packaging, heavier to ship, and more likely
to break, bird. The Certo bottles had a half-bottle mark embossed in
the glass for those recipes that only required half a bottle (equivalent
to one of today's foil packets).

And where I am, I have never seen Certo powder! I think our Canadian
friends see it.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 08:26:41 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> songbird > wrote:
>
>> bigwheel wrote:

>> > Kindly give us a hint as to what is Certo? and why we need to be
>> > interested about it? Thanks. Is it kin to Vegemite by any chance? If so
>> > yes..its unhealthy.

>> Certo is pectin, but i'm not familiar with
>> bottled pectin of any kind.
>>
>> the ancient recipe i had for freezer jam
>> called for one 6floz pouch of liquid pectin,
>> but these days the pouches are 3floz (or they
>> were when i purchased them this past early
>> summer). as to what games they might be
>> playing with amounts in recent times with
>> respect to jars i'm at a loss.

>> songbird

>Glass is more expensive for packaging, heavier to ship, and more likely
>to break, bird. The Certo bottles had a half-bottle mark embossed in
>the glass for those recipes that only required half a bottle (equivalent
>to one of today's foil packets).
>
>And where I am, I have never seen Certo powder! I think our Canadian
>friends see it.

Sure-Jell
--
Susan N.