Kenneth

Default loaf drying out while proofing

On 21 Jul 2004 11:16:01 -0700, (Phil) wrote:

>Kenneth > wrote
>> I neglected to add:
>>
>> If the dough is drying to the point that spring is constrained, the
>> loaf will burst (often looking as if it had "exploded") on baking.
>>
>> Is that the problem you are having?

>No, not really. It's just that I'm not getting much oven spring. The
>loaf pretty much stays the same size as when I put it in the oven at
>the beginning of the bake. It's not a big deal, the crumb is decent
>and the bread tastes good, but...I feel like i'm doing something
>wrong. Possibly proofing too long?
>
>I haven't read much about oven spring, and why it happens. But it
>seems to me (with my limited chemistry and physics backgroung) that
>the co2 "bubbles" in the crust made during proofing simply expand
>because co2 will "expand" (is that the right word?) when heated. I
>have a hard time believing that oven spring is caused by some last
>minute co2 producing reaction from the yeast because to the heat of
>the oven. If this is true, it doesn't follow that I'm not getting oven
>spring. The crumb is not dense either; I don't have huge holes, but
>like I said, I have decent crumb.
>
>Thanks for the input,
>
>Phil Reed

Hi Phil,

Other than the visual interest (that is, watching it happen through a
window in the oven door) there is no virtue whatever to oven spring.
In fact, in many baking traditions it is understood to indicate that
(from the perspective of maximizing flavor) the dough had been
under-proofed.

All the best,

--
Kenneth